Advice needed please possible starving colony!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browntea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Got a call from a freind today who had run out of fondant, i called round to give him some of mine and when i removed the cover that covers the hole in the crownboard i saw lots off bees but very very little movement from them,i fed mine on sunday and they were full of life so thought this was not right!

Put some fondant on immediatly but have i done the right thing? would syrup be better?

Was it just cold, encouraging them to cluster? If not and you thought they were on point of starving you could have poured syrup into a comb and given them that, or if really mild and they were moribund could have sprayed them with warm light syrup. Then given them fondant. Anyway you have done your best. Hope the hive is insulated and they do not have too much space.

Thanks Drex

Ive just been round to dust them with icing sugar, took the CB off and panic over, all is well it must have been the cold, national BB and they look to be covering 7 frames :)

At times like this hefting the the hive could help regarding stores.

Give them a choice. At this time of the year, If I feel they are a bit light, I give them some fondant and make a depression in the top of it and pore a little sugar syrup into the depression. They will take what they want...

Is it to early for drones

Nice sunny day here today. Stood and watched my 3 hives. Plenty of honey bees flying fom all three hives. Noticed a large drone flying out of one and it flew back in again after a few minutes. Is it to early for drones. Is this a sign that I may have a problem developing. Your options appreciated.
Brigid

Nice sunny day here today. Stood and watched my 3 hives. Plenty of honey bees flying fom all three hives. Noticed a large drone flying out of one and it flew back in again after a few minutes. Is it to early for drones. Is this a sign that I may have a problem developing. Your options appreciated.
Brigid

Yes and No.

Some hives retain Drones from the last season.
But you also could have a drone laying queen from last season.
Your first inspection will tell which one it was..

Thank you. I will have to wait until it is warmer to do a full inspection.

Brigid I moved one of my colonies from a wooden to poly the other day and while it was too cold for an inspection, I did notice during moving that there were lone drone cells on one frame. So yours maybe starting early like mine, or could have carried over a drone or two as a safety net. Or maybe given the good weather (well break in the rain) he was a visitor looking for some B&B?

Noticed a large drone flying out

That tells me something. Maybe not the whole story, but something.

Latest posts

Back