A very sad and bizarre day ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
Today has been a very strange day.

Our girls start to the year has been a difficult one. We have two hives which both went into winter strongly. However, both have suffered a very late start to the year.

Sadly for one of our colonies the start was too late.

Our other colony has 4 half frames of brood...they seem to be getting stronger as the days go by. They still have food and there are a lot of bees (in relative terms) in the hive. They have fondant and pollen patty but they haven't really bothered with these. There is quite a lot of activity on the landing board, so we are increasingly hopeful.

We went home from our apiary and discussed the situation. Our first loss is pretty disappointing. We wondered if we had them in the garden whether they would have been better off over winter. Possibly but the location isn't really practical.

We decided that this evening in the sunny weather we would go for a walk and stop in at the pub. As we left the house, my wife noticed that there were some bees hovering around by the back door. There are a couple of
hives in the village so we assumed that they were visitors. But there were 10-20 bees around a crack in the wall as we left for the pub...almost like a landing board :cool:.

So we returned from the pub around 9pm and I had a little look with the torch from my phone. There are bees still inside the crack overnight mostly out of sight but definately still in there. It is not a big location and there are a couple of small circular holes in the soil.

So what could be going on?

Surely a swarm would be much more obvious and large. A caste would be wrong for this time of year - that would assume a swarm first? a bit early? What other options are there?

The wall holds up the side of a herb bed. It is only about 3ft tall from ground level and is holding soil up.

We may, just may, have some sort of 'colony' trying to establish itself. So we have put out a WBC a few feet away and placed a couple of frames of stores and a dollop of honey in the Brood Box. Tomorrow we will get some lemongrass oil - what do we do with this?

If they are establishing themselves right outside our backdoor - that is a problem...We'll need to call a beekeeper!!!!!

How do we get them out? Do we leave a while to grow stronger - cannot afford the risk to family with that.

So all thoughts are welcome. Any thoughts at all really...

As I said a sad and bizarre day today,

Sam.

Hi Sam

If you get a chance to see them up close you might find they are listed on this site. I doubt very much they are honey bees so your WBC is a noble gesture but they will be happier where they are if you don't mind them being there. As far as I know they aren't aggressive like honey bees can be so no need to panic trying to get them out or give them an alternative home.

Ooohhh that's so sad. I was hoping that they were honey bees...

I will grab one tomorrow and take a picture and will have a little look to see what she is.

I thought they looked like AMM but now you say it...perhaps hope was in my heart...

Sam

Just read up on mining bees and mason bees.

Unless the males have just hatched and started flying together around the entrance waiting for gilrs to mate with then the solitary mason bees seems possibly not to be the one.

Mining bees seem to be lawn based and are a very different colour to what I saw so again it probably is not them...

Small hope I know but until the fat lady sings...

or until I take a picture tomorrow,

Sam

Got to be honeybees...

So I have been out in the garden today and we had to move our 'bait' hive/feeder. By 10 am there were hundreds of bees all over it. Now some of them would have come from the 2 hives elsewhere in the village but also they were coming from the mysterious colony.

All day they have been busy as bees can be.

And this evening these 'solitary' bees began returning on mass to the mysterious colonies. I have taken a number of pictures of them and attached them to this post. If I had seen them or their behaviour anywhere else I would have said straight away they were honeybees.

About 6pm they started on mass to return to the wall. About 30 bees around the various edges of the wall - in three different entrances (including walking down soil passageways). I have been sat in-front without protection for extended periods and have been buzzed but not stung. They have been bringing pollen back to the hive, fighting each other a little outside to get the best access to home, and generally behaving just like AMM should.

more pictures in the next post.

Sam

If they are honey bees how do I deal with them?

Sam

Interesting problem...

Myself I would be tempted to leave them there.........

Can the blocks be moved so you might be able to get the queen?

Put a nuc in front that has a back door as well so they have to go thro the nuc?:willy_nilly:

I put my money on them being Andrena Scotica (Mining bees)

Andrena_scotica

Andrena%20scotica%20side.jpg

I saw exactly the same sort of bees outside Cromer hospital today. I really thought they were honey bees foraging on the forsythia or pansies but on closer inspection they were exiting from lots of holes in the soil. There must have been a few hundred flitting around. Lots of folks were scared and running away screaming but I sat on the wall next to them taking pics with my camera and iPhone. They were really gentle and quiet. Some threw themselves at me but there was no malice to it. I wish I had some in my garden.

Lots of folks were scared and running away screaming but I sat on the wall next to them taking pics

to have made it look really good you should have put your finger there and let one crawl onto it.....

I got some footage albeit breif, of mining bees mating today! The black and white ones!
Never had them in the garden in previous years... Its shaping up to bee a bee year LOL

So how can I be sure? There is a colony of bees in there not solitary bees. They look just Look Like honeybees - not as hairy as the picture posted. They were bringing pollen into the location...which with Mason or mining bees only occurs when the queen is preparing her nest (putting stores in for the eggs).

I am honestly unsure but still believe them to AMM...so how do I prove one way or other?

Thanks for all your thoughts so far,

Sam

I thought that mining bees, mason bees, solitary bees, (which are not solitary) are all a variation of bumbles.........
I have bumbles that use a gap between bricks on front of my house, I estimate that there are only half a dozen or so when they are there...

Latest posts

Back