9 frames in super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browntea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I recently bought some second hand cedar nationals that where on fleabay(Buy it now bargain) the supers have 9 frame spaces, metal castellated type..why 9 and not 11 like the rest of my hives? Is this something to do with the amount of stores they will store? P.s sorry for the noob question! :thanks:

Last edited:
Could be for already drawn frames, spacing them further apart encourages them to draw them further, and therefor hold more honey.

Yep - start with 11 until drawn and extracted, then 10, then 9 - more honey, less wax.

Swap them for 11s for now and set aside for when you've got drawn comb...

What's a super and what's honey?

Sorry, couldn't resist that.....

Thanks for that folks, if I were to use them as 9s with new foundation in them am I right in thinking they would build comb in between the rather large space?

Thanks for that folks, if I were to use them as 9s with new foundation in them am I right in thinking they would build comb in between the rather large space?

Yes and my bees don't even seem to like them with well drawn out comb! Still building brace so moving al my supers to 11 and 10 frame spacing. Luckily I only tried 9 spacing on one hive this year!

Not yet mentioned on this thread - castellations should be easy to change.
And cheap, about £2 a pair, whether for 9, 10 or 11 frames.

Just beware that T's standard ones expect a slot in the end wall of the box. The 'budget' version is short enough to fit into a box without the slots ...

///
Normal thing would be to move the frames to a box with different spacing, rather than remove all, change castellations and replace frames ...

And the reason for wanting fewer but fatter combs? Less cappings, so greater efficiency - more of the honey coming from the extractor, less being left with the cappings.

Last edited:
Have been thinking about this subject recently - assembled my first hive not too long ago, the supers came with 10 slot castellations. Am wondering wether it might be better to swap to runners and space the frames closer - would that improve the chances of them being drawn out quicker? Or is it just a case of they'll be drawn out regardless once there is need for them?

Have been thinking about this subject recently - assembled my first hive not too long ago, the supers came with 10 slot castellations. Am wondering wether it might be better to swap to runners and space the frames closer - would that improve the chances of them being drawn out quicker? Or is it just a case of they'll be drawn out regardless once there is need for them?

Put 11 slot in one box, and use that for getting (all) new frames started on drawing out ...

// assuming non-hoffman (SN1 or 2) frames ... as typically supplied

All mine have drawn out the frames tidily on 10 frame spacings, and yes, when they need the space they'll draw it out regardless,and they won't draw it until they need it

Thanks for the advice - yep, they are SN1s, think I'll just leave them as is for now. Am probably a bit early worrying about such things, need to get some bees first :)

I like the 9 frame supers coz my extractor is a 9 frame radial:winner1st:

that only works if they cap the 9 though lol

Latest posts

Back