1kg Sugar 49p @ Morrisons.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morrisons

:(
I've been in twice and sent hubby in twice. More tomorrow.

By last Saturday our local Morrison's (Bridgwater) had reverted to 89p a Kg.:mad:
Regards
TBRNoTB

From what I can gather it is beet sugar which has sulphides so I suspect it is a trace left over from its manufacture. I believe sulpher dioxide is used to refine and bleach sugar - but I've fed my bees Morrisons sugar and they are still alive so far. I am counting on the amount of sulphides being very low and also that other products made using sugar, like bakers fondant, will also probably have the same presence of sulphides and these seem to be tolerated by the bees. The level is probably just a few ppm - although that is only a guess.

for how sugar is refined @ Cantley ( local to me)
http://www.britishsugar.co.uk/Sites.aspx, click on the cantley box to download all about the site / processes. very interesting read
;) Tony

I remember in the early 1960s visiting a sugar beet processing factory and early in the process sulphur was bubbled through the liquor to clarify it I believe. I remember this well, because we were shown the cylindrical sticks of sulphur and it was explained that a fire got out of control and someone threw a bucket of water onto it, but it splashed back and he was burned by the sulphuric acid.

Not sure if it's lime that has replaced the sulphur in the early processing or not. It would be good to do that particular visit once again.

Sorry the last own brand packet I picked up had contains suphides printed on it .
John W

Hi John, managed to get hold of a pack and there's no mention of sulphides on their current packaging, so would assume(!), for the moment, their statement to be correct.

Latest posts

Back