sugar cost and when to buy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
should i buy sugar if i see it cheap and what is cheap
i see amazon have £1 per kg should i stock up for winter

Silver Spoon Granulated Sugar, 2 kg (Pack of 6) £12​

is there any sugar to avoid /not pure

You can get a better price than that almost anywhere.
For smaller operations check out the local discount outlets like aldi, lidl ,farm foods etc.
If you know someone who works at a major supermarket see if they will use their staff discount for you.
You find the bees will wolf it down for the first week or so then slowdown
A few years back Poundstretcher had a job lot at 38p/kg
White granulated is good.

Look for it in bulk. Some of the cash and carries let you register as a beekeeper and they sell in 25 kg bags.
Actually £1 a kilo isn't bad at the moment

late reply

just went to Iceland, and they have 1kilo bags of sugar at £1.00 per kilo. Also on offer for £1.80 for 2 x 1Kilo bags !!

stocked up for autumn feeding....

Crikey! Half that price not long ago. I stocked up with invert last year but by the looks of the supers with lots of uncapped honey I might not have to feed much.

yep - and Tesco/Sainsbury/Waitrose/Adli/Lidl are selling 1kg bags between £1.05 and £1.09.

I found some stocks from last year - when it was 65p per Kilo - and I thought that was expensive !!

Yeah, just had a quote for fondant for this year. It was £8.50 last year £16.14 this.

Home Bargains 89p/kg

Bookers still the cheapest sugar I can find (1kg x 15 pack - about 88p/kg IIRC)

I have turned to ambrosia. We have bought a pallet of it (70 jerrycans) and it comes at £20 for 12.5kg, £1.60/kg. With the cost of gas, petrol to go around shops and my time to melt 40-50kg of sugar, it's pretty much the same.

I have turned to ambrosia. We have bought a pallet of it (70 jerrycans) and it comes at £20 for 12.5kg, £1.60/kg. With the cost of gas, petrol to go around shops and my time to melt 40-50kg of sugar, it's pretty much the same.
That’s why I have turned to fondant. I can slap a slab on and leave it.
It’s also easier as you don’t need a feeder and you don’t have to carry loads of heavy liquid around.

Farm foods Store Finder used to be cheap (I don't know if they still are) go to their website and sign up for discount coupons. The more you buy the more discount you get so at one time it was possible to buy loads of sugar for a very good price.

late reply

just went to Iceland, and they have 1kilo bags of sugar at £1.00 per kilo. Also on offer for £1.80 for 2 x 1Kilo bags !!

stocked up for autumn feeding....
Gosh that’s a long way to go for sugar and I am sure the excess baggage charge would have been horrendous 🤣

I've just had a look at Bookers wholesalers and they have branches all over the UK. Their price for granulated sugar last year was £19.00 for a 25 kilo bag. All you do is take your beekeeping association card along and they'll give you a Bookers card which lets you buy anything else you want as well. They want to support beekeepers.

Bookers are never really cheap unless you are buying in bulk, they normally do a deal about this time of year of 2 for the price of 1 which just undercuts the supermarkets. Last year Tesco's were still cheaper but tbh it’s easier using 25kg bags than loads of 2kg bags if you have loads of syrup to mix.

Latest posts

Back