14x12 nucs or Standard nucs.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was only asking how he had done his change over, it doesn't mean I was going to do the same. I have never done a shook swarm so was just enquiring.

I know, not having a poke, just preempting the usual advice :)

You can buy those converter extensions for your frames but personally it's a wast of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rab, I see you have 14x12 hives, when you switched over from standard brood did you place them in 14x12 and switch to the 14x12 frames gradually or did you do a shook swarm changing them over all in one go?

I added an eke to the deep boxes and moved them in. Filled in under the deep frames to avoid wild comb initially, then later just dealt with any wild comb by changing out the frames as they were worked to one end, or some other ploy. Not difficult, whichever route is chosen.

RAB

We had this problem with wild comb under the 3 deep frames yesterday. They had built beautiful wild comb. What did you fill the space with? I was wondering if we should have removed the 3 old frames, which were jammed full of brood, although no eggs but we would have been sacrifying so much that I lost my nerve.

We had this problem with wild comb under the 3 deep frames yesterday. They had built beautiful wild comb. What did you fill the space with? I was wondering if we should have removed the 3 old frames, which were jammed full of brood, although no eggs but we would have been sacrifying so much that I lost my nerve.

Just gradually move those frames to the edges of the box and remove them later on when brood has emerged (maybe in the spring when stores are depleted but the cluster is small)

Latest posts

Back