Yet another new hive ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This is going to drive the cost of pallets up ! And there will be more new beekeepers diving into a clueless start ... Easy isn't it ? NOT >>>>

http://www.eatnatural.co.uk/pollenation/become-a-beekeeper

Another Marketeer leaping on to the bees are in danger bandwagon ..

As for POLLENATION ... it's POLLINATION !!! Don't they have a spell checker in Marketing ?

Dying to see the 5th generation!!! I imagine that will actually resemble a workable beehive!! One that will last, oh for goodness sake, heres we go again!!
I so wish people would concentrate on learning how to use proven models, that are readily available, cheap and actually do look after bees pretty well (providing the beekeeper is up to spec). Is this not just another attempt to reinvent the wheel and cast doubt on designs like Dadant, and Langsdroth to name a few!

Last edited:
Good to see the different designs of beehive that people think up.

Funny how they do not mention money.
Eco hive? I bet they are not economical to buy. Another clever marketing ploy in the name of conserving the bee?

As for POLLENATION ... it's POLLINATION !!! Don't they have a spell checker in Marketing ?
The bit I liked the most was this: "become one of our Eat Natural beekeepers".
It begs the question: "Does it come with fries and a milk shake?" :icon_204-2:

I used to make hives from pallets, if your back is ok they are alright as a stopgap but they are a lot heavier than a cedar hive and only last a few years.I'm not very impressed with the video showing them making the hives is it me or are they heating the wax directly on a hot plate.I found that by the time you strip the pallets find pieces without knots or splits and then cut them plane them and make them usable it's just as easy to buy cedar planks from the timber merchant.These days there is not much saving making your own unless like me you enjoy it.

partway into the video they are putting in wood fibre insulation boards on the inside but then later we see an assembly with just a thin crown board with hole in it???

Last edited:
partway into the video they are putting in wood fibre insulation boards on the inside but then later we see an assembly with just a thin crown board with hole in it???

Yes ... there's lots of contradictions and inaccuracies across the whole web site ... it's a mish mash of various things and I really don't know what the overall marketing (or philanthropic) objective is ....it's a worry that the BBKA seem to have endorsed what they are doing as well ?

Yes ... there's lots of contradictions and inaccuracies across the whole web site ... it's a mish mash of various things and I really don't know what the overall marketing (or philanthropic) objective is ....it's a worry that the BBKA seem to have endorsed what they are doing as well ?

seeing what bees do to cardboard, I wonder whats going to happen to the wood fibre.

seeing what bees do to cardboard, I wonder whats going to happen to the wood fibre.

I know it. Interrior of the hive contains more or less fibre dust. It is in honey and in brood cells.. Fibre board does not last long time.

But they notice it soon and change the material. Learning curve, you know.

But all beeks are mad with their insulation materials.

Last edited:
I would not eat a natural beekeeper- too tough..

If I had the expensive woodworking kit that they had in the video, I don't think I'd be running secondhand pallet wood through it. Hit one hidden nail and you've wrecked your planer/thicknesser, saw or dovetailer!

CVB

If I had the expensive woodworking kit that they had in the video, I don't think I'd be running secondhand pallet wood through it. Hit one hidden nail and you've wrecked your planer/thicknesser, saw or dovetailer!

A metal detector is a useful tool when processing reclaimed timber.

Find metal in trees when saw milling them as well, nails, steel rope, chain, etc, more so if the trees are from the outside of a forest or individual farm or garden trees, best avoided or at least the lower sections.

Not real pallets

Those are fake pallets. Look, he's using his bare hands to drag it.

Seriously, though, I have also tried to make hives from pallet wood, and there are some problems with it. The most important thing is: pallet wood is so bent that you have to plane it down quite a bit to make the planks uniform, and that means that the wood is too thin to make hives from, unless (and you can see them doing it in the video) you add an additional layer of wood on the inside.

So what you get is an expensive hive that looks like it was made from left-over pallets. They are nice-looking hives, though, have to admit (not the roof or the stand, but the boxes themselves).

Another problem (with old pallets, but perhaps not with "new" pallets like the ones they're using) is that the nails tend to break off inside the wood when you try to remove them, so if you work with it, you have to constantly watch out that your saw doesn't saw through an area where there were nails.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back