Worrying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I went to check some hives I have on a farm today and I found a square of insulation I had put in the roof of one of my hives about 20 yards downwind. Someone has taken the roof off and forgot to put the insulation back. This is not a shared apiary, so are they sticking their oar in, messing about or thinking of pinching honey? Or worse thinking of pinching the bees.? The farmer was nowhere to be seen, so I couldn't ask if he knew anything about it. Worrying!

Someone has taken the roof off and forgot to put the insulation back.

Think it would be a good idea to stick the insulation inside the roofs, at least it will not fall out and get lost/blown away, when the roofs are being removed.

Place a nature cam somewhere hidden but looking at the hives. At least you'll know what's happening

I went to check some hives I have on a farm today and I found a square of insulation I had put in the roof of one of my hives about 20 yards downwind. Someone has taken the roof off and forgot to put the insulation back. This is not a shared apiary, so are they sticking their oar in, messing about or thinking of pinching honey? Or worse thinking of pinching the bees.? The farmer was nowhere to be seen, so I couldn't ask if he knew anything about it. Worrying!

It's been extremely windy over the last few days - perhaps the roof blew off, and some kind soul put it back on, but either didn't know about the insulation, or thought that putting it back under the roof would make it more liable to blow off again ? If those were my hives, I'd run straps around them.

If someone was seriously after your bees - then they would no longer be there ...

LJ

as above - how are the roofs anchored? if not strapped/weighed down then possible to have blown off and found by passer-by who recognised a hive roof BUT was unaware of the importance of the scrap of builder's rubbish nearby.

I think the roof being replaced either points to a kind soul as above or a curious but harmless passer by.

There is nothing worse than worrying about people messing around with your bees and not being able to do anything about it. I hope it is just a case of the wind getting under the roof and someone replacing it. I hope there isn't too much damage done.

I forgot to mention that I weigh down the roof with a concrete flag. The whole hive could blow over, I suppose, but it is unlikely that the roof would blow off. There were also some other signs of someone nosing around a little.

I think the roof being replaced either points to a kind soul as above or a curious but harmless passer by.

My money is on a harmless passer by actually. Even though the paths nearby are not public footpaths, It's not obvious and I have seen people walking past from time to time.

Suggest using a hatchet strap, this will make it more difficult to remove but don't forget to screw the strap to the floor to prevent if from being pinched.
This will not stop all but will prevent the casual vandal.

Metal thieves can show interest in beehive roofs, sometimes realising they are not worth nicking after inspecting them. Or a kid interfered with your hive and ran off in a panic.

Sorry. Edited. Was a repeat of earlier messages. I must read before replying

Last edited:

There has been a few replies suggesting various intent.
I would say that if there was malice intended the hive or bees would have gone, or at least there would have been far more serious interference than just missing insulation.
It's a bad world, but sometimes.....just sometimes...humans still surprise me! :)

xmas givingxmas giving
There has been a few replies suggesting various intent.
I would say that if there was malice intended the hive or bees would have gone, or at least there would have been far more serious interference than just missing insulation.
It's a bad world, but sometimes.....just sometimes...humans still surprise me! :)
Unrelated, but I lost my wallet in Tesc@ yesterday, a "young lad" handed it in complete, even though it was found open with notes showing. Christmas spirt indeed!

Humans are surprising

xmas givingxmas giving
Unrelated, but I lost my wallet in Tesc@ yesterday, a "young lad" handed it in complete, even though it was found open with notes showing. Christmas spirt indeed!

Humans are surprising

If I ply my wife with wine I may be in for a Christmas spurt of my own later:biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back