Woodpeckers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol well it usually happens in the dark haha

Oh, maybe hunting birds with dogs? No, not that.

Birding is hunting birds with binoculars and camera.

'Birding' is the correct term for someone who goes out looking to see and find their own birds. A 'twitcher' is some one who usually chases other peoples birding finds.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

'Birding' is the correct term for someone who goes out looking to see and find their own birds. A 'twitcher' is some one who usually chases other peoples birding finds.
That has become the common usage. "Birders" is the general term over here that covers many variants. A "Twitcher", originally, was someone who could see a flock of 10,000 pink foots and spot the 2 white fronts among them. They can see a hundred LBJs pass through a bramble thicket, then pick out a rare passage migrant because it looks "wrong". The twitcher's talent isn't for identifying rarities, it's being so familiar with what is expected in any situation that any variant stands out.

Unfortunately, "twitcher" was picked up by journalists and wrongly applied to what are more properly "listers". Some go to incredible lengths; hear of a potential lifer in Shetland, travel overnight, try to tick it at dawn and get back to their desk by lunchtime.

That has become the common usage. "Birders" is the general term over here that covers many variants. A "Twitcher", originally, was someone who could see a flock of 10,000 pink foots and spot the 2 white fronts among them. They can see a hundred LBJs pass through a bramble thicket, then pick out a rare passage migrant because it looks "wrong". The twitcher's talent isn't for identifying rarities, it's being so familiar with what is expected in any situation that any variant stands out.

Unfortunately, "twitcher" was picked up by journalists and wrongly applied to what are more properly "listers". Some go to incredible lengths; hear of a potential lifer in Shetland, travel overnight, try to tick it at dawn and get back to their desk by lunchtime.

Sorry they are and will always be Twitchers, the term originally came from the way they 'twitched' everyone else's birding finds. The term was also picked up by the press and wrongly applied to 'Birders' who regularly look for their own birds and can pick out rarities on their local patch and at other sites. Most Birders are 'listers' and keep lists of birds seen and includes local, county UK and worldwide.
I remember working on Isles of Scilly a few years ago during the Autumn, 'twitchers' season. A group were watching a yellow billed cuckoo and their pagers went off to say their was also a Veery on the mainland close to Penzance. One prominent twitcher pulled out his mobile and called the helicopter company that then went to the islands and ordered a flight off within the hour. He then asked the rest of the group if they would like to share the ride, he filled the flight within minutes! I would have loved to have seen his face if nobody wanted to chip in .
S

Sorry they are and will always be Twitchers
That was how the term was used back in the 1970s, a twitcher was the first to spot rarities. At least it was on the East Coast when there was a visitor book in a Cley cafe to record local sightings, when telephones had dials.

Somehow, it got reversed - maybe the Bill Oddie book set the pattern? I do recall, distantly, pub discussions that the term had ceased to be applied to (very few) others in admiration at their skills and some newly on the scene were using it for anyone who chased reports.

Last edited:
Ahh, car parks and laybuys are more commonly used in the UK. ( or so I'm told !)

I'm a little worried about MBC and the references to dodgy antics, is there something you wish to tell us about?............maybe not :nono: its the
xmas carols season

S

Sorry they are and will always be Twitchers, the term originally came from the way they 'twitched' everyone else's birding finds. The term was also picked up by the press and wrongly applied to 'Birders' who regularly look for their own birds and can pick out rarities on their local patch and at other sites. Most Birders are 'listers' and keep lists of birds seen and includes local, county UK and worldwide.
I remember working on Isles of Scilly a few years ago during the Autumn, 'twitchers' season. A group were watching a yellow billed cuckoo and their pagers went off to say their was also a Veery on the mainland close to Penzance. One prominent twitcher pulled out his mobile and called the helicopter company that then went to the islands and ordered a flight off within the hour. He then asked the rest of the group if they would like to share the ride, he filled the flight within minutes! I would have loved to have seen his face if nobody wanted to chip in .
S

Or if meanwhile the Veery had flown from Penzance to Scilly:icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back