Winter weather in UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking Poggle but too diplomatic to point out the geographical anomaly?
Me in Lincs - -5.5C last night and again first thing this am. wonderful sunny crisp winter morning. nice to drive on dry roads. local garden centre empty when i got there to top up bird food supplies.

"OH currently waist deep in snow. awaiting a third ploughing."

intentional use of language i'm afraid! already wearing two coats.

Hopefully it'll be the son again rather than old Gino this time - fitter (ok these things are relative - see picture) and made a good job first go which old Gino then spoilt by ploughing a narrow tractor wide trench - fine for the smart but not so good for the disco given that the walls of the trench are reminiscent of the classic star wars deathstar scene.

I'm looking forward to the snow hitting the south east :) :nature-smiley-12:

"The lowest temps I have seen to-day were at Hurn -10.4"

Yup, spot-on, that was the temperature here (about 4 miles from Hurn) this morning around 6.30.
About 20 miles east of Hurn, and a lot nearer the coast, it was at least -8C last night - measured close to the house. At the moment it's 5C, but no sign of ice melting.

About 20 miles east of Hurn, and a lot nearer the coast, it was at least -8C last night - measured close to the house. At the moment it's 5C, but no sign of ice melting.

One of my radio chums has just said it is flecking bits of snow in Wallisdown in Bournemouth.

Now 0 here but overcast so we will see what we get.

PH

"OH currently waist deep in snow. awaiting a third ploughing."

intentional use of language i'm afraid! already wearing two coats.

Hopefully it'll be the son again rather than old Gino this time - fitter (ok these things are relative - see picture) and made a good job first go

This thread is producing a series of double entendres that hasn't been seen since a Frankie Howerd brainstorming session.

Nice picture - an Italian pulling a pig eh!

Look at that yesterday on Helsinki border motorway
Snow is dusty powder and cars lift the snow up. I drived the same road.
Visibility was 20 m, sometimes 10 m or zero.

After the middle in video you see how cars dive from snow dust with full speed to the iron heap of cars.

No one died...A Canadian driver took this video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNcVEEEIR0[/ame]

Look at that yesterday on Helsinki border motorway
Snow is dusty powder and cars lift the snow up. I drived the same road.
Visibility was 20 m, sometimes 10 m or zero.

After the middle in video you see how cars dive from snow dust with full speed to the iron heap of cars.

No one died...A Canadian driver took this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNcVEEEIR0

Has everybody noticed that people always start driving faster when it starts to rain or the fog comes down.

When there's snow they're like half-wits and go even faster no account of visibility or vastly increased stopping distances.

Slow down - stay well back - always our motto. Hope nobody trogs into the rear! :eek:

Has everybody noticed that people always start driving faster when it starts to rain or the fog comes down.

When there's snow they're like half-wits and go even faster no account of visibility or vastly increased stopping distances.

Slow down - stay well back - always our motto. Hope nobody trogs into the rear! :eek:

A person I know who used to do a lot of driving in his job reckoned it was because, in low visibility, people are more afraid of being hit in the rear than anything else - so they speed up to avoid this happening!

Coldest last night was Oxford at -12. We were at -3 for most of the morning here in the SE. Bright sun now but waiting with baited breath for tonight. Please Finman take back your arctic blast we're not used to this sort of stuff here in the soft south! Seriously though, its good news for all of us who use the cold for getting rid of wax moth. I can hopefully be sure that they are no longer around in the supers outside.

We are 25 miles N of Oxford, on the edge of a village in a frost hollow in the Cotswolds. My thermometer said -9.5C last night

"Oxford" could be Brize Norton air base, which is pretty isolated. I'd have thought Oxford city would be warmer

Been snowing since 14:00 and just moved out of what I'd call "light" on to "moderate"!

It's been snowing for about half an hour or so in N. Dorset. It is lying.

We filled some bird feeders about 4 hours ago. The tits have eaten almost all the sunflower seeds and are still at it for more, even in the falling snow. Greedy little divils. :rolleyes:

Its been snowing here about 2 hours, very light fine stuff to start with & the wind got up a bit blowing it about a bit , looks like its settling in for the evening with bigger wetter flakes.
Hey were nearly white over here.

Temp from Mmy weather station, snow started late morning / early afternoon.
Since installing my weather station, couple of years ago, I discovered that generally the coldest point overnight is just before the sun rises!

Back