Winter weather in UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
during the summer, the 1st hr of daylight is the coldest.
(the sun is not at high enough angle to add heat)

just been to get the papers. embarassed two lads in a white van who were stuck on the hill - sped by in the smart shouting "you need winter tyres!" out the window.

Winter tyres are very healthy. They are friction type or spine type.
Friction is better in your conditions.

Remember too that if situation is like in video, dont push brakes. It locks the front tyres. Loose the brakes and turn car off from accdent route.

Look the front tyres. They act like a sledge when locked.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP28pbcz4tM[/ame]

"Winter tyres are very healthy. They are friction type or spine type.
Friction is better in your conditions."

spiked certainly not justified in most of UK!!!!!!

However the standard type are an eye opener - work better than chains on our hill.

for anyone who hasn't seen any - aside from a different groove pattern every "block" of rubber that contacts the road has 3 or 4 wiggly slits cut across it, increasing the surface that grips (aside from any advantages of the softer compound). if you look at your tracks on even frozen compacted snow you can make out lots of little raised wiggly marks where the tyres have gripped.

I have found that the local highways departments in Scotland seem to deal with the situation a lot better then in England..

Driving south from Glasgow on the motorway a few years ago at 6 in the morning and the gritters had been out, and the ploughs were all sitting on the overpasses waiting for any more snow.

Many years ago the M11 was locked down for over 2 days one way because 1 lorry jack-knifed.. People stuck in their cars... Northbound side was OK and the traffic was moving. Police were telling people to stay with thier cars and not to leave them!!!! All they needed was a few bags of salt at the front of the queue and it would have been sorted out.

I drove to the north of Stockholm a few years ago.. Lots of snow but none on the road. All been cleared.
Parts of the M25 closed this morning... Why? We all knew the snow was coming... Gritters? Snow ploughs? Where were they? Saving money on Sunday overtime rates.

Friction tyre

HS434_400.jpg

Very silent summer tyre

92bfef06b875278cc5141ef8a8c791aa.png

Well , london as normal closed down last night at about 11:00 due to 5" (12cm) of snow that Finland would think is a light shower

I went out at 11:30 to walk back my wife from a meeting as I decided not to go by car because of the idiots not knowing how to drive on snow

welll what did i find, cars skewed on the hill ,buses on the all night buse route blocked not by snow but by cars not being driven properly. i moved a car for a lady who could not drive up a little hill....she was amazed, " why could i not do that"....learn to drive luv

nice walk back via a late night pub, all the late nite revelers at about 2:00am slight typsy, girls in high heels, clubbing gear making their way back because the Tube lines had stop early...no cars, total white silence

If you scroll the picture of the wheel/tyre up and down the screen quickly its looks as if its revolving...

Just thought you'd all like to know that useless bit of information.

all the late nite revelers at about 2:00am slight typsy, girls in high heels, clubbing gear
and considering these people dont go out until 10 o'clock, I bet it was already snowing when they left home.

didnt get any snow down on the coast near brighton. the downs look nice and white though.

>6cm of snow on the ground and more falling :banghead:

In this area the authorities have a unique method of road clearance - they wait for it to thaw:rofl:

looks like we will be housebound for a day or two

I have found that the local highways departments in Scotland seem to deal with the situation a lot better then in England..

Driving south from Glasgow on the motorway a few years ago at 6 in the morning and the gritters had been out, and the ploughs were all sitting on the overpasses waiting for any more snow.

Many years ago the M11 was locked down for over 2 days one way because 1 lorry jack-knifed.. People stuck in their cars... Northbound side was OK and the traffic was moving. Police were telling people to stay with thier cars and not to leave them!!!! All they needed was a few bags of salt at the front of the queue and it would have been sorted out.

I drove to the north of Stockholm a few years ago.. Lots of snow but none on the road. All been cleared.
Parts of the M25 closed this morning... Why? We all knew the snow was coming... Gritters? Snow ploughs? Where were they? Saving money on Sunday overtime rates.

Our local council - Staffordshire Moorlands- grit the night before.. all our major roads clear.

Southern councils appear to be run by s#dding amateurs.

Norfolk road crew seem to get it right, dunno about the other soft southern counties

Snow what snow. Our southern softie crews still tucked up in bed asleep as no snow at all here on the island and cannot see any across water to Bournmouth & Southampton.

Spent all weekend enlarging out apiary groundworks ready for this years expansion plans, (hopefully).

been a mild night in S. Lincs - no frost despite the BBC/met office/daily mail scaremongering and lots of melting of snow.

"Our local council - Staffordshire Moorlands- grit the night before.. all our major roads clear.

Southern councils appear to be run by s#dding amateurs."

depends what they're gritting with. some use a wet mix that only works if spread immediately before the snow/ice is due.

On the Continent there is very little gritting at all except on major roads/motorways - roads cleared by locals with snowploughs contracted by the council.

-10 C here this morning, so the snow will still be here for a while.
A snowplough and a grittter went past earlier (gasp...)

-10 C here this morning, so the snow will still be here for a while.
A snowplough and a grittter went past earlier (gasp...)

Wow - did you get a photograph? a very rare sighting indeed:)

The snow arrived overnight Sat/Sun this is our road 5 mins ago:ack2:

Latest posts

Back