Winter insulation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it time there was a special section just for the discussion about "insulation of beehives" (like there is for queen breeding and rearing) where people, who wish to do so, can endlessly debate the topic to their hearts content. I have been hearing both sides of these arguments for over 50 yrs and still people don't agree. Or extend it to cover other areas of related contention like "top and bottom ventilation" as well as "frames arranged warm versus cold way".

Last edited:
Isn't it time there was a special section just for the discussion about "insulation of beehives" (like there is for queen breeding and rearing) where people, who wish to do so, can endlessly debate the topic to their hearts content. I have been hearing both sides of these arguments for over 50 yrs and still people don't agree. Or extend it to cover other areas of related contention like "top and bottom ventilation" as well as "frames arranged warm versus cold way".

+1 before someone has a bit of thermal stress

It is nothing different to ''is my hive queenless?''

Perhaps that should have a separate section, too. Doubtless many others like oxalic acid trickling, thymol use, when to feed, how much to feed, what to feed ... the list is endless.

50 years? So not a recent issue since OMFs, the demise of matchsticks, introduction of polyhives and other recent advancements?

Let's be honest here, insulation has always been used to help the bees overwinter - even if it was simply by using WBC hives. Just a shame the dino's don't concede and join the ranks of the more progressive beeks.

It is nothing different to ''is my hive queenless?''

Perhaps that should have a separate section, too. Doubtless many others like oxalic acid trickling, thymol use, when to feed, how much to feed, what to feed ... the list is endless.

50 years? So not a recent issue since OMFs, the demise of matchsticks, introduction of polyhives and other recent advancements?

Let's be honest here, insulation has always been used to help the bees overwinter - even if it was simply by using WBC hives. Just a shame the dino's don't concede and join the ranks of the more progressive beeks.

The debate is as old as Langstroth. My favourite quote is from October 1915 by Everett Franklin Phillips

Someone here said, It is easier to keep a herd of cows than keep bees

bee's are far easier to keep trust me, or at least cheaper and problems are easier to spot and put right.

but we have lots of dinosaurs keeping cows too, often in far harsher conditions than the stupidest beekeeper keeps bee's

Last edited:
"I wrapped my bees up in thermal undies and granny's tea cosey yet they still didn't make it through to spring."
Perhaps insulation is only a small piece in the puzzle of how to keep our bees healthy and alive?
Alec

Cows are just as easy if you understand them and learn what they require. Whether it be sheep, cows, pigs, chickens or bees the ill informed, those who try and keep too many for the ground or time they have or exploit them heavily bring the good name of all livestock keepers down. The minority cowboys spoil it for the majority.

foreign languages never my strong point pren ywen is how I'd know it

don't be so modest jbm - you write so eloquently. You're right, I shouldn't of :)D) mentioned it - I'm completely in awe of people with more than one language, having proved myself rubbish at several....

I've got a slight handicap at the moment unfortunately SWMBO jetted out to Africa a month ago - was planning on going to 'my' orphanage and sort out their administration etc, but being a high flyer they sent her to Uganda instead. About a month before she went she acquired a replacement for poor Mabel, she's about a year old and tiny (even for a miniature dachsund) and is already suffering from separation anxiety thus when I'm not working (she senses when I'm on the laptop I'm busy) she finds her way on to my lap using one arm as a cushion so I have to type one handed !

I pinned some bubble wrap on the roofs of my hives today.

I was thinking about keeping cows for the milk but I couldnt find any hive plans.

Sorry..its the morphine that does it..

I was thinking about keeping cows for the milk but I couldnt find any hive plans.

Simple - just weave some in the shape of a lampshade and smear the walls with bee sh!t but remember - only feed them on cane sugar!

Simple - just weave some in the shape of a lampshade and smear the walls with bee sh!t but remember - only feed them on cane sugar!

Feed them?
Sod that..

I was going to collect the gas and pump it into the Bentley's tank.

I agree. They have had muuuch more practice at it than we have! Do you think there are a lot that think feral colonies cannot possibly cope on their own?

They certainly could have, if humans had not messed up their habitats and vastly accelerated the spread of varroa (and now SHB), I suppose.

I've got a slight handicap at the moment unfortunately SWMBO jetted out to Africa a month ago - was planning on going to 'my' orphanage and sort out their administration etc, but being a high flyer they sent her to Uganda instead. About a month before she went she acquired a replacement for poor Mabel, she's about a year old and tiny (even for a miniature dachsund) and is already suffering from separation anxiety thus when I'm not working (she senses when I'm on the laptop I'm busy) she finds her way on to my lap using one arm as a cushion so I have to type one handed !

sorry you missed a trip jbm, but what better reason to stay home? She sounds delightful - does she have a name yet?

Maintaining a HoneyBee colony is a highly complex and time consuming task. So its best to leave to those most qualified.

Made more time consuming because some people find the need to go and poke about in the hive every few days, because they are worried that they are starving because it rained yesterday.

How does one become qualified?

Latest posts

Back