Will remaining flying bees produce comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
The story so far is…. I thought I had a poorly performing 14x12 hive…chalk brood evident iraticly laying queen. AMM type. And apparently cbpv. I Found capped queen cells. So moved queen to new bs drawn brood frames in a new location and waiting to see the outcome. I inspected today without smoke or protection she is laying and there is some brood
I also striped 5 frames from the original hive and added a frame of eggs/ brood from another and put e into a nuc they have produced capped queen cells which I have reduced to 1 (I will check over the next few days to be certain there is only 1qc )

The original Hive I added new foundation and a frame of eggs and brood grow this has also produced some capped QC

I am thinking of splitting the remaining six frames into a double three frame 14x12 nuc with a capped QC in each each and moving the nuc.

Will the flying bees left in the old hive build new comb on any foundation I give them.
Will I have to combine the double 3 frame nuc come winter or with proper feeding etc will it manage

My main thinking is that doing things this way I may end up with a spare queen
Is there a better way to manage the remaining flying bees

Latest posts

Back