Will my bees swarm if i over feed them fo winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busy bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello i know this is going to probably sound very stupid. I am new to beekeeping and have one hive. Here it goes... when i feed the bees for winter can i over feed them so they run out of room an maybe swarm? or will they stop taking any more syrup and not swam? Thanks Adam

Normally they simply stop taking the feed. But with bees one can never really say 'never'.....

RAB

Thankyou! When would you normally start feeding the bees for winter? (In your area?) I wont keep asking you questions dont worry lol.

Eric gave you the correct mix but you'll need a lot more than one pint. Get a gallon on and see how this goes. Add more later if they'll take it.

Getting late so do it immediately.

And no, they won't swarm.

Before you feed gallons, pints or pounds (whatever they are), it might be sensible to assess the needs of the bees. Some need a lot and others not a lot.

RAB

Give them a gallon. If they want it, they'll take it down. If they want more, give it to them.

If not, you've only lost the price of the sugar.

If they do, you have most likely given your colony its best chance of getting through the winter.

Little to lose - everything to gain.

Your choice!

Hi Adam, Im a newbee too - in my second year and I had the very same thought re swarming a couple of weeks ago.. even looked through my books to see what I could find out on the topic of overfeeding and swarming this time of year. One quick call to my mentor put me right.

You may find the odd play-cup if you inspect in the weeks to come (the start of a queen cell) but dont worry, all good colonies have them and only need to worry when they have an egg in them - unlikey now. remember to keep inspection to a minimum - if you cant heft your hive, you'll only be looking for levels of stores...

As everyone else has said, keep feeding now and stop at the end of Sept - if you carry on, they wont have time to ripen the syrup and it may cause dysentry (not good). Your main task now is to not worry about them, stop robbing by closing the entrance to one bee space, and feed like crazy.

PM me if I can be of any more help (Which means I'll PM RAB and the get back to you with the answer!!):smilielol5:

Gary

Just read off the DailyMail that long range weather forecasters are expecting below average temps in the next 3 months with snow predicted by some as early as October.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...now-forecast-parts-Britain-early-October.html

They may be wrong but they could be right. :eek:

I need to start feeding in earnest but the right strength. Just realised tonight I fed one hive 15lbs of syrup last weekend BUT 1:1 and not 2:1 :eek: .....and I'm sitting here in France until Friday. Wondered why they were fanning like hell at the entrance.:rolleyes:

BL

Before you feed gallons, pints or pounds (whatever they are), it might be sensible to assess the needs of the bees. Some need a lot and others not a lot.

RAB
:iagree:

one of my colonies doesn't need any feed at all this year, in fact they even filled the apiguard eke. the others have needed varying amounts, from 4 pints up to 1 + 1/2 gallon.
not all colonies need feeding, best to heft before taking a trip to your sugar supplier.

It may also be worth making some of Hivemekers thymol mix up to add to the syrup to stop it fermenting and if you have'nt done so already you need to be treating for varroa.

Andy

Adam, it;s still warm enough to open your hive.....keep feeding until all the frames at either end are full of stores as this is also heat insulation. and then keep feeding until they stop taking it down.
They know how much space they need, richard.

my 14x12 hive only had liquid stores on the 1st September....all of mine have now taken down two and a half gallons of ambrosia in the last three weeks and are still not ready for winter, may need another half gallon plus each,,,still under 35lbs on the spring balance

very peculiar micro climate this year in north london...june gap just did not end , the july forage was not enough to add to the supers and by august we were going backwards fast

I am not the only beekeeper who is scratching his head as to were the gallons of syrup are going

Ivy now coming in as normal though

Just read off the DailyMail that long range weather forecasters are expecting below average temps in the next 3 months with snow predicted by some as early as October.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...now-forecast-parts-Britain-early-October.html

They may be wrong but they could be right. :eek:

I need to start feeding in earnest but the right strength. Just realised tonight I fed one hive 15lbs of syrup last weekend BUT 1:1 and not 2:1 :eek: .....and I'm sitting here in France until Friday. Wondered why they were fanning like hell at the entrance.:rolleyes:

BL
Hmm going bu the met office's track record I'd better unpack the barbecue again and keep my shorts handy!!

one of the more accurate long range weather forecasters is predicting the third week of October is an Indian summer (SE) ending in a very bad storm and north sea storm surge

Nah......... Up here it will rain till it snows and we will have our summer before Easter and my bees will swarm again.

Latest posts

Back