Why so many nucs for sale ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole lynch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I’ve noticed lots of nucs for sale on Facebook.
I’m a 1st year newbie. I was told that nucs have to be ordered in the winter prior to starting in spring.
Is there usually a glut of nucs for sale at this time of year?
I presume they are mostly from splits that folk can’t accommodate in their own apiary ?
Just trying to get an idea of how the beekeeping year works in reality
TIA

Many swarms have been reported this year (although luckily, so far, none of mine have swarmed). I reckon many of these "nuclei" are not splits but swarms that have been hived onto combs for a few weeks. I know several "so called" beekeepers that do this and make quite a profit on the "free" swarms collected from their local area. Some even put bait hives near other beekeepers apiaries.

I’m a 1st year newbie. I was told that nucs have to be ordered in the winter prior to starting in spring.
I presume they are mostly from splits that folk can’t accommodate in their own apiary ?
TIA

Home reared queens heading viable nucs would be quite normal. Advertised on FB could be anything.

TIA

Maybe because the bee auctions didn't happen this year?

Many swarms have been reported this year (although luckily, so far, none of mine have swarmed). I reckon many of these "nuclei" are not splits but swarms that have been hived onto combs for a few weeks. I know several "so called" beekeepers that do this and make quite a profit on the "free" swarms collected from their local area. Some even put bait hives near other beekeepers apiaries.

Quite so... very bad form indeed IMOHP!:calmdown:

Some selling for ridiculously low amounts

Beginners need all the help they can get in their first year of keeping bees... Taking on a nuc of uncertain origins... nurturing and feeding through the Winter for them to swarm ( tis in their DNA!) an the first opportunity in Spring is not what you want!!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back