End of season splits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hampshire does not have winter. It just has a cooler version of Autumn :sick:

Avoid the trickling if at all possible. The bees need to be virtually varroa free when the queen starts laying for winter bees. Those bees will be as healthy as possible and, as such, will over-winter without the beekeeper interfering with them in the middle of the winter! Of course there is no guarantee of survival but a strong healthy colony, with adequate stores, in a warm cosy home has the best chance.

Very few varroa are not a problem for overwintering, but a lot can be disastrous.

If you really want to go into winter with two colonies, probably the best plan (for a beginner) is to make up a nuc with a bought-in queen if the colony gets strong enough between now and late summer.

My solid floored hives (most were on OMFs) were overwintered with some slim spacers slipped between the floor and brood box to afford plenty of bottom ventilation without being too wide to let in unwanted visitors.

save your sugar for cakes and your alcohol for the distillery, you can use soapy water. I tried it one season but really didn't like killing bees to check for mites. A lot of us on here use sublimation rather than OA trickle, apiguard or else. It's quicker, more effective and can be used with supers on which allows you to treat now as well.
I zapped a couple of swarms this morning, before they cap the brood.
I lot of grumbling from the bees, but quick and efficient with a gas vap

Latest posts

Back