Why have my Bees gone Aggressive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilmington

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My apiary is approximately 75 yards from my garden at the end of a long narrow paddock. Last Saturday I conducted a standard weekly inspection on one of my hives. The bees have normally been quiet but on this occasion they had a real strop on and were boiling up between the frames. I finished the inspection and retreated with bees following. Two days later I was working in the garden, having been no where near the bees and was "attacked" by a bee who seemed to target me. The following day the same happened on two occasions resulting in a sting each time some 75 yards from the hive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yep really interesting exactly the same experience bees behaving aggressively 70/80 yards from hive very tetchy just posted question is it the weather /

Q damaged and ineffective or old Q losing her pheramone efficacy or gone queenless? Sounds like requeeing with a more docile one, preferably clipped and marked, would be useful.

2 of mine which had been the gentlest you could imagine have turned more than nasty. On one hive inspection they stung my gloves literally hundreds of times. We were trapped in the house for 40 minutes and the poor dog who ventured out was stung. I strongly beleive that they are Q- combined with an OSR frenzy. Last year I had Q- hives which were gentle so something else must be at play here.

Sometimes I suspect the bees have started to recognise the beekeeper!

I'm having a similar problem with one of my queenless hives.

Help - me too! I have had the most docile bees for my first two seasons, but after I did an artificial swarm on Monday I can't get out in the garden! When I fed them the next day I was followed right into our garage - I tried resorting to a handy can of fly spray and wished I hadn't, it just made them even madder. In the end had to swat half a dozen before I could get my bee suit off, ever since then have not been able to hang out the washing and am now sporting a sting on the nose!

Ours were grumpy up to the beginning of the week. They are much better now as they are working hard and generally happy with life. We've had quite a few incidents of single minded bees smacking into us and getting over excited.

i agree i have never known bees to be like they are at the moment, i have had a horrible natured hive, but it was always like it. This seems to be different, In the last week i have been chased around our paddock 50+ yards away from the hive, even when i havent been disturbing them and they are so persistant, even pursuing me under the trees. I had thought it my problem (see earlier post today regarding advice on having to do an emergency move tonight!) but it seems more wide spread. Bit weird given the now good weather and honey flow being full on from osr.

Ah! I think they are revolting in more ways than one. Not only is this the year of aggression but the damn things won't stay where they are put.... Never have I had swarms that leave the hive I have given them, but this year..... They just won't stay put. So maybe they are ganging up on us........ The bees are taking over the world aaaahhhhhhhh!!!

i agree i have never known bees to be like they are at the moment, i have had a horrible natured hive, but it was always like it. This seems to be different, In the last week i have been chased around our paddock 50+ yards away from the hive, even when i havent been disturbing them and they are so persistant, even pursuing me under the trees. I had thought it my problem (see earlier post today regarding advice on having to do an emergency move tonight!) but it seems more wide spread. Bit weird given the now good weather and honey flow being full on from osr.

I have the same problem. Some of my bees have never ever been this vile in a good few years of looking after them.
Cazza

Same here. But the aggressive are not my queenless ones. They are the ones with queens laying nicely. We've only had bees for a bit over a year, but they have never been like this before.

Hi im glad im not the only one, i have some bees on Rape they have had plenty of stores through bad weather have been very docile bees till this week i can not even walk past hives without getting stung! Tho they are on a remote farm track that isnt a foot path but people keep cutting across the field to it so maybe they are getting it.. lol

When my bees get tetchy I get heavy on the smoke, moving bees from frame ends before lifting frames, again when putting them back and generally keeping their heads down with well directed drfits of smoke over the frame tops. This should keep them manageable in most conditions - thats the plan anyway !- but if they're overly defensive due to the conditions sometimes discretion is the better part of valour and they're best left alone, especially anywhere where there is a risk of a passerby.

my bees always get rather stroppy when its hot,or it could be there are just a lot more bees out and about.

MBC - i've been leaving them well alone for 4 days (except the succesful move this AM) they have been horrendus, harrasing all comers even when they are 50 yards from the hives and nowhere near their flight path motorway. How on earth do beekeepers in towns cope? there must be a few very annoyed neigbours out there at the moment!

Latest posts

Back