why are bee hive so expensive in uk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Tom Bick.

Yes it's more of a passion than a plan to buy a yacht...has to be said. But I like it and will stick with it. You also end up meeting like minded folk which is worth as much again.

>>

As for sash windows...could do some I suppose but trying to get peak-hives going at the moment. And busy with orders despite the inclement weather...Will PM as requested though as any work is welcome work in this shabby economic situation were here in the north...I hear the economy is 'overheating' in the south east...bully for you!!!!!

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
Timber in other countries is cheap enough if you live in those countries and use that timber,but if you are going to use timber imported from those countries then of course your going to pay a lot more,if you need a lot of timber, home grown uk timber is just as cheap, if not cheaper,and there is plenty of it. Problem is not enough manufacturers can get off there backsides and do something about it,twenty tons of top quality western red cedar costs around £350/400 if you cut it yourself, Pine for frame making ect is even cheaper. You also get the timber to the dimensions you want.

Last edited:
Adri(Nick) Advertising is not allowed by members on the forum.
I dont want to be silly about it and edit your post,if other members are happy to leave it then I am happy to agree with them in this instance.

Please dont make a habit of it though,Its much better to let other members point buyers in your direction who are satisfied customers or else we will end up with a free for all spam fest on the forum.

Thanks,Mark

Admin.

twenty tons of top quality western red cedar costs around £350/400 if you cut it yourself, Pine for frame making ect is even cheaper.

Wow is that the price of the tree on the ground or the price after conversion drying and ready for people to play with

can't see where that price comes from...

I was at a well known beekeeping suppliers yesterday (near River Severn) and was having a good chat with Eric (head honcho) about timber etc.

His analysis of prices, and he has been around for a while, is that it is about demand and the cost price in the first place.

In his car park for customers at the moment are STACKS of red cedar from Canada. probably 3 40' lorry loads. It takes 3-5 months to get it and he has to buy in bulk to get a better price.

Due to space constraints etc, he can only process so much at a time, perhaps supers one week, brood chambers the next and he has found that it has been so manic as people are starting beekeeping and demanding cedar over the cheaper options.

Basically, the price is made up of a premium source material, cost of transport from Canada, cost of cutting and manufacturing in the UK, cost of wages (who wants £25 a day??!!)

Then there is the profit (basically the risk element) of Eric purchasing all the cedar and that kind of explains the retail price.

Interestingly, unless you are set up for mass production, if you account for your time, the cost of making your own is probably as much as a purchased hive (apart from the self satisfaction we DIYers get !!)

regards

S

Somerford said:
if you account for your time, the cost of making your own is probably as much as a purchased hive

This needs a bit of qualification, ....... it takes me about 10 hours to make a beehive.

If you are unemployed or retired, your income remains the same whether you spend some of your time making beehives or watching telly, ....

.... and you always have the option of selling the beehive later and maybe making a small financial gain.

If on the other hand you are employed, and would lose wages by not turning up for work, then it would seem sensible to make beehives during the hours for which you are not required to work. ...... providing you have some of those :)

Either way you only actually have to pay for the materials.

10 hours is that from a pile of wood planks or a kit if from the planks thats pretty good it takes me about 7 and thats with a workshop and all the toys keep going you can not buy the satisfaction achieved

Tom
this is the price you can buy the standing tree's for,you have to do the rest yourself. you can get a felled trackside price of £600/700.

10 hours is that from a pile of wood planks or a kit if from the planks thats pretty good it takes me about 7 and thats with a workshop and all the toys keep going you can not buy the satisfaction achieved

Tom, That's from planks of the correct width and thickness.

The first one took me a week. :)

Thanks Hivemaker

You can see how the price starts to increase as it passes through various stages befor it gets to the end use. Unfortunately my situation prevents me going down that road it may change in the future but for now I will have to contribute to the Canadian economy and all the people in between

hi I have been comparing prices for a Ist qaulity cedar national brood body in the flat excluding vat, from five companies with online catalogues.That appear to manufacture thier own hives. They cost £31.28, £30.00, £30.00, £30.60, £29.95. less than £1.33 between them, thats less than five %. the price would seem to be what they can get rather than costs plus, not a lot of competition between them. regards jim

rourkie,

You are right.

The way most people will do it, if they compare prices, will be on total cost of what they require - usually they think hive but not all the extras for swarm control etc - with delivery costs included. Probably nothing much between the suppliers when everything is included. Often, the two delivery costs can make it not worthwhile to order from two sources. Almost a cartel operating? Possibly, but not a big enough market to get a government investigation!

Regards, RAB

hi I have been comparing prices for a Ist qaulity cedar national brood body in the flat excluding vat, from five companies with online catalogues.That appear to manufacture thier own hives. They cost £31.28, £30.00, £30.00, £30.60, £29.95. less than £1.33 between them, thats less than five %. the price would seem to be what they can get rather than costs plus, not a lot of competition between them. regards jim

Hi

£29.95 + 15%vat = £34.44 You can if you shop around get the BB assembled for that price plenty of people starting to produce hives shop around ask people haggle demand better value for money

hi tom i do shop around i dont want them assembled i want them at a fair price and i dont want to have to bid on ebay. if you have a good value for money product then pm me some prices regards jim

Latest posts

Back