why are bee hive so expensive in uk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, rip-off Britain, but you may need to look at the overall lifetime costs to get a better comparison.

Cedar longevity compared with pine painted might mean you will need one or two pine replacements during the lifetime of the cedar hive. Regular surface coating cost both time and materials.

I have bought lots of things in Canada over recent years. Prices often have same numbers just different symbols. You also need to compare incomes figures as well, or compare the cost to other items to get everything into proper perspective.

There may be local state taxes to add to that price, also. If you could get a good shipping price to UK you would have import duty, VAT on the whole transaction and another near tenner to pay the PO to pay those fees.

Simple way to avoid the high costs (plastic excepted) is make your own.

Regards, RAB

Er, I'm not going wrong at all, .... I don't use Langstroths, and don't intend to.

Nice of you to be concerned for me though, but it's not necessary. :)

Hi JC

Not really sure why you think I would be concerned what you put your bees in.?

Most beginners work there way through a few hive types before they settle on what works best for them. So I am sure you will work out whats best for you at some point.:cheers2:

Regards Ian

Hi

On a more serious note, there are the odd U.K beek that will bring a container over from the states anyone interested could take a look/inquiry on the BFA site.

Stoneleigh is also another good place to hook up with E.U suppliers and one or two phone calls will tell you whos coming. Most if not all are very happy for pre show orders.

The best place for value items IMO would be Thornes sale items, and if you can't stand the crowd try the internet sale days, seconds are great value.

Maismore also have a stock of white wood/pine equipment that will do just fine.

So for people who are willing to look aroud there are plenty of options for cheaper kit. For those that want a bit of quality go see Peter(hivemaker)

Regards Ian

It was your remark about 'where I am going wrong' that indicated your concern.

Perhaps it was an unfortunate observation on your part.

I am not 'beginning', neither am I working my way through a a few hive types.

I had already chosen an appropriate hive type some time ago and do not envisage any changes in the near future.

Whilst others may be interested in your point based on imported products, it is my experience that with wooden hives most people purchase from within the UK, and I'm sure that they have their various reasons.

I merely pointed out that most suppliers charge more for Langstroth hives of similar construction quality, from similar sources, than BS Nationals, and as far as I can see that prevails.

I usually prefer to inspect the goods for satisfactory quality before purchase, and very rarely buy the cheapest available of anything, especially sight un-seen.

Usually I find that the cheapest goods are the lowest quality and the least useful, often because if there was anything worse available, ..... it would be cheaper still.

If a very low cost is important, then undoubtedly DIY construction should be given much consideration.

Hi JC

Sorry I thought you had recently started(just me being concerned AGAIN!!!!)

Most certainly do get wooden hives from the UK but the point was to show people some other options.

Now you obviously like your firsts type equipment and with only a few hives, buget and volume don't concern you.

However for those that wish to expand, running more than a few hives or just those wishing to keep an eye on what they spend, seconds, imports, soft wood or even poly items can be an option. Although with few hives you may not need to consider this others may have to:)

As for some items being of poor quality you are correct. However thats why I tried to point those interesred in the direction of suppliers that can provide value for money. I am sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

DIY is obviously an option for some as you say, having made many of boxes over the years I can still say that these second type items are a good option for some. In many cases you can't actually make them cheaper, or better for that matter.

But one thing I can tell you is that the bees really not that concerned!!!!

Regards Ian

Now you obviously like your firsts type equipment and with only a few hives, buget and volume don't concern you.

Yes I do like the equipment I chose, ..... that's why I chose it ..... (carefully) ...... but you are wrong that budget doesn't concern me. I have chosen so as not to waste money on unsatisfactory goods, amongst other factors.

As for some items being of poor quality you are correct. However thats why I tried to point those interesred in the direction of suppliers that can provide value for money. I am sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

My sensibility remains un-affected, I assure you. ...... I am merely sceptical, ..... at this stage. I have seen many claims by many people about 'cheap' beehives, ........ and many disappointed purchasers. The end results are not always what is initially envisaged. Much depends on ones expectations.

DIY is obviously an option for some as you say, having made many of boxes over the years I can still say that these second type items are a good option for some. In many cases you can't actually make them cheaper, or better for that matter.

Personally, I don't regard a diy hive as 'second' in any way. It does take some practice to achieve excellence, but it's not 'rocket science', and there are some very good examples on this forum.

DIY hives are almost always much cheaper than 'bought in' ones, providing you don't have to account financially for the time involved, and the materials can be whatever quality one desires.

As regards to whether they are 'better', that depends again on ones expectations, and to what the comparisons are made. It might make the difference between having a hive, or none at all.

Of course many will wish to purchase ready made hives, but having seen some of what is available at the 'budget' end of the market I would strongly recommend anyone to inspect before purchase if they are inexperienced.

Most beginners work there way through

I am not 'beginning',

Interesting to see how phrases can be changed...........coming up to my fourth winter I still class myself as a beginner, maybe not beginning but hey ho, perhaps I've just not read enough....... :hat:

Frisbee

Last edited:
That's a good point - Langstroth should be cheaper to make, but are still more expensive than Nationals because there's less demand for them.

So, as a self-confessed beginner Fris, do you see yourself 'working your way through a few hive types' ??

Hi JC

Not really sure but you appear to have some unresolved issues? You can PM me if you wish.

One advantage we find is being able to offer beginners a chance to work different hive types before they go out and spend the cash.A least they can try before they buy. HELL WE EVEN HAVE A BEEHAUS:svengo:

We saw about 100 new beeks this season and many went on to purchase seconds or some of cheaper white wood items from the normal suppliers, the vast majority are very happy with the end results and cost savings.

For those who wish to try DIY go for the short lugged type frame/hives particularly when starting(langstroth,commercial,smith) For those that don't have all the tools or a work shop these boxes are easily made with a router and saw.

As I said before If peolple want quality go see Peter(hivemaker), if you plan to run more than a few hives or need to keep costs down shop around, there are other options, I hope at least some have been given an idea or two.

Regards Ian

I don't really know what you mean by 'unresolved issues'.

I thought the contents of your post #18 were in-accurate, and so was your comment that 'that's where i'm going wrong'

I hadn't realised that you are actually selling the cheap beehives you are recommending to beginners, and am not sure that that is the case now.

If you are both selling them and recommending them, you should make that clear.

Just as long as you can count to ten afterwords.

Actually hives as I see it will inevitably get cheaper as more people start to realise that with the popularity of beekeeping a demand for the hives will follow mix this with a recession and joiners and woodworkers radars will start to twitch.

If you follow ebay over the last few months you can see the trend is one of more choice it will only grow high supply the price drops better value for the beekeeper

Dont think it will quite end up in pound land but

There's no way it could end up in pound land due to the high price of timber here in the UK. Perhaps in the states timber is much much cheaper...I suspect that's the case and therefore hives are cheaper too.

I've got a small business making nationals and the profit's not huge I can tell you...I won't be ordering the jag just yet! There's still demand for sash windows here in the Peak District and they're certainly more profitable...think I'll stick with the nationals though...

All the best

Nick Buttle

Hi JC

Who said anything about selling kit to beginners, I am not selling any of these items. I said it's good to let people try and see different equipment.

Do try to keep up dear chap!!!

Regards Ian

Adri, I'm sure many would like to see a pic of your hives, and to have the details of pricing and availability etc.

Hi JC
Who said anything about selling kit to beginners, I am not selling any of these items. I said it's good to let people try and see different equipment

Just an enquiry to clarify the situation ........

My comments therefore stand as stated. :)

There's no way it could end up in pound land due to the high price of timber here in the UK. Perhaps in the states timber is much much cheaper...I suspect that's the case and therefore hives are cheaper too.

I've got a small business making nationals and the profit's not huge I can tell you...I won't be ordering the jag just yet! There's still demand for sash windows here in the Peak District and they're certainly more profitable...think I'll stick with the nationals though...

All the best

Nick Buttle

Hi Nick

Me and you in the same boat the joinery side of my business more profitable than the hives but after starting beekeeping two years ago love making the hives its more of a passion

Latest posts

Back