WHO

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's probably in most homes already, just lying low waiting.

I heard a tale (can't remember the source but remember thinking it was reasonably reliable) of a couple hearing from friends who had received a sound file by email. It appeared to have been sent by Alexa, but fortunately only contained a recording of them discussing a new floor!

A definite no- no here. No “smart” telly either.

I used to work with someone who had one. We had a conference call each morning (we all worked from home) and used to attempt to get it to order something for him over the call :D

James

don't even have a smart meter

Nor us. They've (temporarily, I'm sure) given up calling to set up an appointment to install one at last, too. I did have to get quite rude though. It was particularly irritating given that when we had the meter replaced recently the installer confirmed that from its location in the cellar a smart meter would be unable to send a signal back to the network.

James

Nor us. They've (temporarily, I'm sure) given up calling to set up an appointment to install one at last, too. I did have to get quite rude though. It was particularly irritating given that when we had the meter replaced recently the installer confirmed that from its location in the cellar a smart meter would be unable to send a signal back to the network.

James
Eon by any chance? They keep plagueing me!

Well I had one for around 10 minutes. Then the installer realised it wasn't smart enough to even work as there was no signal strong enough to work the stupid thing. Now I am the proud owner of a reinstalled dumb meter which I am constantly told has past its lifetime date, but at least it works!

Eon by any chance? They keep plagueing me!

No, though I suspect it may actually be one of the companies that the "names" subcontract to install meters. Because no-one seems that keen to do any work these days if they can sub it out to someone else.

James

I swapped to octopus tracker in November. Having a smart meter is a condition of the tariff so I finally succumbed/bit the bullet. Prior to the swap I had an E7 tariff with day rates approx 34p/unit and night rates app 15p/unit. The protection of a sub 100p/unit cap is lost but the average November/December price worked out at 17.60 pence per unit. The next months average should be lower as the windy conditions and warmer weather has given some days well below that and Christmas eve a record low of 7.77 p/unit. The next days price is published about 11.00 am so it's easy to shift washing and baking timing to suit. Todays price 12.60 but tomorrow's is 13.76. Mrs J did the washing today. Unless things go completely awry I think it's not such a bad thing having a smart meter. 😎

I don't even have a smart pair of shoes ....

My daughter gave me this for Christmas:

71+3zfU0mjL._AC_SX385_.jpg

It may currently be the smartest thing I own because I've not yet had time to get holes in it or get it covered in glue.

James

Not mine. I remember the days when people had to get up out of their sofa to change TV channels
I remember the days when we had to crank start an old lister generator to watch TV and then resort to oil lamps when it was shut down for the night. Good days but I think I'd miss YouTube if we reset!

I was intrigued by the title of this thread. I thought we were in for a discussion of the World Health Organisation. :D

I've enjoyed the laughs. I'm not sure about the impression we're creating though. So, for balance, I'll own up to having a smart tv, and a smart meter, and neither makes me feel particularly stupid.

I'd use alexa if I thought it could do anything for me but when in family members' houses I ask it to play a particular piece of music, it usually gets it wrong. Could be my accent though.

Latest posts

Back