Who says its cold?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a telephone call this afternoon offering me a new out Apiary.

I had a look on Google maps and its about 2 miles away.

Zooming in on the satelite image on google maps it looked like a great site with car access,facing south with wind breaks.

So what did I do? I jumped in the 4x4 and shot off to take a look like a schoolboy at Christmas.

The site looks great and will make a welcome addition to my Nuc raising plans come the spring.

ok, it may of been about -3c outside but like a kid I jumped out of my heated seat and took a walk around the area,it felt like a spring day!

It was not until I got home and stuck the kettle on that I realised I could not feel my toes,this beekeeping lark makes me feel like 21 years old all over again.

You and i seem to be taking over hampshire. you'd better not be on Moi Laaaaaand.

Blimey, handed it on a plate?! You lucky bugger! Well done though, sounds like you're very happy!

Really wish you well with your new site Admin, lovely when you get a new spot and the enjoyment, planning what you intend to do.

gl admin....how many hives are you planning on putting out there....and do u know the planting around the apiary?

oh and keep out of Berkshire...my territory;):boxing_smiley:

I think I should be around the Hampshire/Berkshire border by October.

Planting wise I am going to have a chat with the farmer next door who has around 2000 acres,he does corn but have no idea what else he plants as yet.

I plan to use it for my nucs that I split from the main apiary.

I would like to be able to split early spring and get them on the Heather at the begining of august in Nationals.

when would be the best time to split then finman?

Strange. The mass of bees develope much more slowly in small hives.
Number of hives does not bring honey to you.

Hi Finman,my plan was to take a few frames from my main hives and build them back up for a harvest while not expecting one from the Nucs.

I am sure there are better ways of doing it?

when would be the best time to split then finman?

It depends why you split. For swarming, multiplying hives, for joy, selling nucs.

- If you want honey yield, don't split before main yield.

- If you split for swarming, join parts for yield

To me, minimum hive which is able to forage honey yield is 4 langstroth box full of bees.

would those be mediums finman?... do u use mediums as supers too?

Latest posts

Back