Which suit and gloves?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonorousSuze

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,

I'm incredibly new to the craft, don't have any colonies yet, but am learning from a colleague (plus LOTS of reading) who has five plus a nuc on one site and another 15 located somewhere else. Two of the colonies are very angry ladies, so I'm in at the deep end so to speak!

However, it is time for me to buy my own suit, gloves etc and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choice.

My friend has recommended Sherriff or BB, but they are pricey compared to others out there. I've been advised to make sure the suit isn't too heavy etc.

What do you guys recommend? What's the difference between a Sherriff at £122 and an eBay job at £40?

Gloves, a whole different ball game, disposable, leather, kid, nitrile .... The choose is endless. Not sure I'm quite ready for thin surgeons gloves plus gauntlets, but I know I'll have to go there and bare skin soon......

Ideally I'd like to go to a shop and buy rather than buy online, but I can't find a supplier in north herts. My local beekeepers association may help when I meet up with them but if any of you know anywhere Baldock, Stevenage way that would be amazing!

Thank you all very much

Suze xx (who has already found herself singing to the ladies)

Three years ago me and my friend needed new suits. He bought a new bb wear suit saying his cheap one hadn't lasted. I bought a bee basic one for half the price and felt rather smug. At the beginning of this season I bought a bb wear one because my bee basic one fell apart zips broke the veil spit in several places stitching came away. His bb wear one is still as good as new.

Welcome to the forum SonorousSuze :)
Buy the best you can afford - not something to skimp on.

I would suggest BB wear for suit
Start off on Marigolds (seal the cuffs with masking tape or elastic bands)
As your confidence increases you can move to latex or nitrile.

Both choices are partly down to your own preference and circustances.

I bought Sheriff personally and have no complaints. The material feels like it will last a long time and has done so far.

Generally I have read that the cheaper ones don't last (especially through washing) as long and I believe paying a bit more will save you in the long run.

In my case the suit and gloves get used a lot due to the number of colonies that I run. If you have 1-2 hives then of course you will not be using / abusing the suit + gloves as much.

In terms of gloves it really comes down to personal choice.
Many people will say that the more 'feel' you have through your hands, the more gentle you are during manipulations and the calmer the bees will bee!
I agree but for my personal circumstances, at the moment I used kid gloves with disposable latex gloves over the top. I still find I have a reasonable amount of feel and dexterity through them whilst being protected enough at the times my hives are in a more defensive mood.

All the above is of course my personal opinion and others will have their own opinion / preferences.

My OH has a BB wear suit - thinnish cotton, but gets stung through it when I don't - mine is a BeeProof Suit in a cotton canvas (heavier) some £40+ cheaper than his. I must admit to being rather smug :D They both wash fine, and after 1 1/2 seasons are still both without problems or hitches...and if some of the hives are truly horrible - I'd go thicker...

Suits -
I've got a BB one and its great been washed stacks of times in the machine and still good 2 years on, my husband who only helps now and again has an ebay one - not so good. The zip broke recently and also the material isn't as good quality.
Gloves -
I've tried leather, latex, blue nitrile, marigolds and thick blue ones by Maisemoor. I dont like leather as difficult to clean and feel clumbersome.
They can sting through latex and nitrile which isn't good because then that area of my body swells up and i need my hands in good working order for my job! If I didn't react to stings at all I'd probably wear these though.
Marigolds they can also sting through.
My favourite are the Maisemoor thick blue ones - they are sting proof although i had a sting on my elbow where a bee got caught where the end of the glove joins the suit. They can be machine washed and scrubbed with washing soda in between hives, once you're used to them they dont feel too clumbersome (certainly not as clumbersome as leather) and can be taken off briefly for marking queens etc. Just bought some more as a back up - my first pair lasted a year so far and still going strong.

My OH has a BB wear suit - thinnish cotton, but gets stung through it when I don't - mine is a BeeProof Suit in a cotton canvas (heavier) some £40+ cheaper than his.

Brilliant, found it online, thank you!

Do you find it gets too hot to work in due to the extra weight?

I would suggest BB wear for suit
Start off on Marigolds (seal the cuffs with masking tape or elastic bands)
As your confidence increases you can move to latex or nitrile.

BB is quite good and cheaper than Sherriff who overcharge for frills (pockets) you will never need. I bought my BB one at the Harper Adams Convention in April and regret that I opted for the spaceman type veil. It looks good maybe but, especially in cold weather when bees cling on to any external warmth that is nearby, I am in serious danger of being stung on my ears without a balaclava or similar hat as a second layer. For that reason, I prefer my much older coverall with a smock type suit for the top half with the round type veil that keeps the bees well away from any flesh whilst giving one the benefit of a much wider field of view into the bargain. Whatever you do, make sure you wear a double layer everywhere as bee stings get through a single layer very easily indeed.

As for gloves, bee stings relatively easily penetrate calfskin beekeeping gauntlets as I found to my cost and in any case are sods to keep clean of propolis. Accordingly, I invested in several pairs of Sainsbury's washing up gloves and with duck tape (better than masking tape or elastic bands wich snap at inconvenient moments as suggested above) around the edge of the cuff to stop bees going down into the glove and doing their defensive business there, I rarely ever get stung. Note that once one bees has stung one, the phermones send dozens of others into a frenzy so beware. Such gloves are easily washable with washing soda and squeezy and last for years. Cost about £2.50. Bee safe rather than sorry. Best 'o luck.

It's like buying any item of clothing, except you don't need to worry about what the fashionistas among your friends may say. Try different things on, see what feels the most comfortable, then decide whether it's in your price bracket. Comfort must be the most important factor, as if it pulls, chafes or doesn't feel right it'll make working with the bees less pleasant, and you may hurry too much or be more clumsy than you should.

And don't forget that you can be standing around in it for some time on a warm day. It's probably better to buy something light and well ventilated, slightly larger than you need and layer up underneath in the spring and autumn. Heavy, coarse suits ain't much fun to wear, even if they may be harder for a sting to penetrate.

I've never been able to understand why anyone would buy clothing online unless they haven't got a shop within a two hour drive. If you can't see it, feel it and try it on you're likely to get something unsuitable. There are plenty of bee shops around. Google can help you find them. But visit one or more rather than order online.

Thank you all - what an attentive bunch you all are!

And I am well aware that everyone will have different opinions and the final choice will be mine!

I do have a buy cheap buy twice philosophy, but given that I don't even have my own ladies to tend yet, I don't want to spend an inordinate amount.

I've managed to get away with one sting so far, from the angry ladies of the nuc....on my knee, through a Sherriff and thick trousers! When she did that, her colleagues then saw me as fair game and went for me with some verve. Quite an experience for my second visit to an apiary!

on my knee, through a Sherriff and thick trousers!

what humans call 'thick' trousers are not 'thick' enough to stop bee stings!!
best bet is a pair of thick ( as in thickness of material ) jogging trousers, these are about 4-5 mm thick, and coupled with a bee suit, should be thicker than a stinger is long ;)

my tip for bee suits = get one that is well over-sized, tight fitting ones stretch over elbows, knees and other sticky-out bits and provide a thin point for bee stinger access.

and I personally prefer the round style hood, keeps bees away from face / ears.

welcome to the forum.

Whatever you do, make sure you wear a double layer everywhere as bee stings get through a single layer very easily indeed.

Apparently fleece is good so i've been told, harder for stings to get through

Note that once one bees has stung one, the phermones send dozens of others into a frenzy so beware.

keep a smoker handy and give a puff on sting area to mask pheromones

BB my new lightweight suit is brill and gradually helping to rebuild my confidence after a crap suit from a well known supplier split along the veil allowing three bees to get in and give me an unwanted facelift.
Still awaiting a replacment or money back after 3 weeks
Buy a good one to start

Gloves
Nitriles inside marigolds and BB elastic cuffs over joins

Some nasty stings in my second year with usual bad reaction as my immune system has adapted
Apart from the split veil all could have been avoided

Take no chances or you might be put off

I had a swarm arrive at one of my out apiaries early May and they are the meanest bunch I have ever met. They seem to even stir up the lovely Buckfast I have surrounding them. Anyway I went to re-queen and thought I was suitably dressed but had to back off when they completely covered my arms and front of veil! The veil I can stand as I wear a baseball cap under to prevent them stinging my head, my arms though took about 60 stings. I have been contemplating the thought of round 2 with these nasty black beasties and in middle of Friday night I woke up with a brilliant thought!!! Yesterday I found my old (20yrs) wetsuit and cut the arms off to make long gauntlets. They worked a treat, no stings to arms and only one or two to my hands. .Bees are now queen less until tomorrow when I will don the rubber kit and pop in a new queen !
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB or Sherriff not much between them quality wise (they're the same family surprisingly) I prefer BB wear, got no complaints at all with them.
I wear leather gloves on the few occasions they are really vicious, marigolds for those in beetween days (a lot of those this year due to bad weather) not all stings get through marigolds and those that do don't seem to penetrate that far thus not as bad - i actually watched a bee unscrew hersef from my marigold glove last week after stinging and fly off, ifIi remember right she was a left hand thread. I wear a pair of gauntlets over the marigolds so the canvas protects my arms and the elasticated cuffs covers the glove cuffs so no danger of bees creeping down there.
I prefer to work the bees bare handed though.

Hi. Welcome to the forum.
We use cotton cuff protectors to bridge the gap between glove and sleeve.
They are just a tube of cotton with an elastic band built in at both ends.
They keep bees out and are thrown into the washing machine with the suit.
Th***e's do them and they are available elsewhere.
They tend to be called gauntlets but have no hand so you can then use your glove of choice.
Tim :)

Ok, now completely confuzzled.

Have just spoken at length to my nearest supplier, who says they sell one all in one suit every two years, and only really sell smocks.

Not sure I'm that confident!

Can't find another supplier locally either, and these guys are about an our away. Anyone know anywhere in Herts, Bucks, Beds or South Cambs?

Brilliant, found it online, thank you!

Do you find it gets too hot to work in due to the extra weight?

I haven't yet found a cool beesuit!! I started off with a thin cotton smock - too hot
Next was a space suit smock with circular ventilation holes...way too hot.

OH's suit...too hot & mine is too hot...

I think my thermostat may be broken :D

Hi Suze
New to beekeeping myself this year, I bought a BB full suit and was given a Sheriff (the day after) both are excellent along with full gauntlets wimp I may be but I have only been stung after taking the suit off and going back for a quick look!
I live in Suffolk and it appears to me that bee suppliers are few and far between in East Anglian.

Latest posts

Back