Which hive to buy???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AB4Me

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, wonder if I could have some advice? I have completed a bee keeping course with my local association and I'm about to click 'buy' on some hives. I've decided I want to go for 14 x 12 brood box, however I can't decide between a BS National or a WBC. I will be keeping the bee's in my garden and live in West Dorset. I've read that WBC are better for keeping the bee's warm due to the double skin, but then I've also heard that's not the case. Most of the pratical experience I have has been with nationals, am I just being romantic wanting a WBC? I can see myself wanting more than 2 hives in the long run as I have lots of space in the garden and therefore I do need to think about the additional cost of a WBC, are they really worth it? Thanks

Hi AB4ME, im in north dorset just outside blandford. My first hive was from a guy giving up and it was a commercial with alot of spare kit so i stayed with that when increasing. Theyre heavy when full but glad on there size atm as my buckfasts are on double brood already and im still having to keep a sharp eye on space. I think if id had the choice id of gone for nationals though as everywhere sells national sizes. For example ive been looking for a frame rest to make life easier during inspections and they seem to do every size bar commercial. If you want any help living so near give me a PM and id be happy to help. Good luck.

Personal choice if you want a pretty hive go with a wbc forget about the warmth. If you want a practical hive stick with National and for me double brood not 14x12. If you want to keep them warm go with a poly...will the bees care i doubt it. If price is an issue look at Nationals or poly

Hi, wonder if I could have some advice? I have completed a bee keeping course with my local association and I'm about to click 'buy' on some hives. I've decided I want to go for 14 x 12 brood box, however I can't decide between a BS National or a WBC. I will be keeping the bee's in my garden and live in West Dorset. I've read that WBC are better for keeping the bee's warm due to the double skin, but then I've also heard that's not the case. Most of the pratical experience I have has been with nationals, am I just being romantic wanting a WBC? I can see myself wanting more than 2 hives in the long run as I have lots of space in the garden and therefore I do need to think about the additional cost of a WBC, are they really worth it? Thanks

Yes you are being romantic. Living in Dorset, don't worry too much about keeping them warm. Go for practicality, you'll be glad you did when you have a few colonies.

Thank you for all the advice, I hadn't wanted to get a Poly because of the plastic issue, has anyone ordered from Caddon hives before? I was looking at them because they're made of Western Red Cedar. So no WBC'ers on here who can tell me why they are so fabulous?!?

I have one WBC hive that came with some bees I bought 2 years ago. Yes, it looks pretty, yes, the bees did very well in it over winter, but come spring I shifted them out to a National. Why? Mainly because of the weight of lifting the roof off and on, and the lifts are not lightweight either. I have poly Nationals and they are wonderfully light compared to the WBC, and I don't bump or bang the roofs getting them on or off as I always seemed to with the WBC lifts.

The BB is not the same size as a National BB so you've either got to have all of one or all of the other when you expand (as you will) to more hives. You can buy 2 poly hives for the cost of one WBC.

You can't upturn a WBC roof to stand the supers on either.

WRC WBC use standard National Frames..... although ( I can not thing of any reason why) 14 x 12 abominations brood boxes can be purchased.

Very pretty lightweight hives...., but may be a bit complicated for some beekeepers who like to rush around the apiary like loonies with smoke bellowing away and bang on about the vast quantities of honey they get!

Choice is yours at the end of the day!!

Chons da

Thank you for all the advice, I hadn't wanted to get a Poly because of the plastic issue, has anyone ordered from Caddon hives before? I was looking at them because they're made of Western Red Cedar. So no WBC'ers on here who can tell me why they are so fabulous?!?
I have 2 caddon nationals. Really good hives.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Go poly its the sensible way to go. WBC? pretty.... but... too small.

PH

Hi AB4ME, im in north dorset just outside blandford. My first hive was from a guy giving up and it was a commercial with alot of spare kit so i stayed with that when increasing. Theyre heavy when full but glad on there size atm as my buckfasts are on double brood already and im still having to keep a sharp eye on space. I think if id had the choice id of gone for nationals though as everywhere sells national sizes. For example ive been looking for a frame rest to make life easier during inspections and they seem to do every size bar commercial. If you want any help living so near give me a PM and id be happy to help. Good luck.

You’ve double brood commercials? Why?

My neighbour purchased a couple of caddon hives. I was a bit sceptical and got mine from National bee supplies but in hindsight his hives function just the same but were less money. I also have just purchased 2 more brood boxes from simon the bee keeper they are a redwood pine but have given them a protective coat and were good value.

Caddon are good in my experience.

WBC are a real pain. All that extra wood to buy and usually paint. That said I saw at the spring convention a good looking caddon cedar WBC.

If I stated now I’d use Abelo polys. I only have one, but they’re up early and late with wall to wall brood.

The only disadvantage is it’s bottom bee space as I prefer top. All my other nationals have been converted.

I would avoid the blue/yellow ones as they’re a bit too visible.

In the end it’s your choice but it’s essentially a once in a lifetime decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They look nice,but it's been disproven they're any warmer.
The gap between the outer and inner isn't always bee tight (hence the roof escape).
I've got a vintage one to restore but it might be just as an ornament alongside the plain jane nationals.
How about a national with a gable roof and a slutty legged stand?

If I stated now I’d use Abelo polys. I only have one, but they’re up early and late with wall to wall brood.

The only disadvantage is it’s bottom bee space as I prefer top. All my other nationals have been converted.

Use a wooden framed queen excluder to provide top bee space.
Dead easy.

As i explained in my post i started with commercials as thats the hive my first bees were in and alot of spare kit too. So i stayed with them. I am using double brood on two of my colonies as i have very strong prolific buckfasts that are increasing like the clappers. In fact today on inspection they have filled every spare bit of space in each of the double brood boxes and im having to contemplate giving them even more room to avoid swarming.

As i explained in my post i started with commercials as thats the hive my first bees were in and alot of spare kit too. So i stayed with them. I am using double brood on two of my colonies as i have very strong prolific buckfasts that are increasing like the clappers. In fact today on inspection they have filled every spare bit of space in each of the double brood boxes and im having to contemplate giving them even more room to avoid swarming.

Sounds to me like they are making inefficient use of the brood box. Especially if you are considering triple brood! A commercial brood box has capacity of c.70000 cells (only Dadants are larger as far as I’m aware). If you allow 20% for pollen and 20% for honey stores that is still 42000 cells. Divided by 21 thats 2000 eggs per day. While I expect a top quality Buckfast can easily lay more than that in a single day I doubt it’s the case that she can lay at that rate for 21 days straight in the UK given the vagaries of our weather and honey flows.

I use Buckfasts with commercials too, all as single brood as I prefer that management technique (plus it’s cheaper and more of the honey ends up in the super). I remove any frames of sugar syrup in the spring so the queen has extra space to lay.

Last edited:
I agree ANMAW but how fo i tell the little buggers theyre being inefficient. Going through yesterday i had (over the 2 boxes 7 frames of wall to wall capped brood 4 frames of bias with a bit of honey and pollen arcing over the top 4 of nectar/honey partially capped and pollen and 4 with huge amounts of pollen interspersed with eggs. The top box had more of the capped the bottom more of a mix. What would you suggest i do ? Im a keen learner and grateful for any advice given. (Found 2 qc in there yesterday with royal jelly on bottom of frames 5 an 6 at bottom of top box.)

Latest posts

Back