Which breed of queen? British black, Welsh black, Buckfast

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have buckfasts and a Italian cross and both those blow my local mongrel caught swarms out of the water!
I'm not wasting my time next season taking mongrel queens thro winter just for them to swarm even after an AS! They don't touch the super just fill the brood box with honey and try to swarm again!

My experience exactly. Managed to get 1 super out of them despite being vigilent on swarming and such great weather too. Just would not stop swarming and I eventually ran out of equipment to box them.

The New Zealand climate is supposed to be similar to ours isn't it? It certainly looks miserable weather on 'top of the lake' on tv at the moment

When the Scottish Calvinists landed on the North Island it was warm and sunny and did not suit them... so the sailed on to South Island where on landing it was slicing down with cold icy rain and the outlook was pretty miserable.... This will do us nicely!

not worthy

When is a Buckfast a Buckfast? They've been exported to most of Europe so if you buy a Greek or Italian Queen 9 times out of 10 its a Buckfast strain. Personally I prefer a black bee fly better in colder climates gather more honey, smaller colonies and easier to overwinter.

When is a Buckfast a Buckfast?

Brother Adam’s Buckfast Bee:
The origin of the Buckfast bee was the cross-breeding of the dark, leather brown Apis mellifera ligustica of Northern Italy and the former British variety of the black Apis mellifera mellifera present before 1920.
Brother Adam had selected his stock for productive power, for being prolific, resistant to diseases, and overwintering qualities. An important remark of his explains the background of his breeding endeavours: “There is no such thing like a perfect honey bee. She has to be ‘created’ by man.” He never really “completed” his breeding efforts; continually he detected new challenges for bee culture.
His breeding method was based on the idea that all strains of the European honeybee are closely related and can be traced back to a common origin, a history quite similar to human evolution and that of other mammals. To comments about his ‘foreign’ race of a bee he answered usually with a knowing smile.
The improvement of the Buckfast strain did not end with Brother Adam’s death. Well known breeders are constantly working at the preservation and the further development of this strain.
The Buckfast bee is especially popular among professional beekeepers. She is docile, prolific and has a very low swarming tendency. Strong colonies achieve good results in honey production and the docile behaviour facilitates a quick and easy working in comparison to other breeds.

The Buckfast Bee today:
The ‘Breeding’ of Buckfast bees is related to the idea of Prof. Armbruster as well as to the practical work of Brother Adam and contains three principle ways of breeding: Cross-Breeding >> Combination Breeding >> Line-Breeding in order to maintain the results achieved in breeding
This way of breeding is progressive, meaning open for new findings in breeding the honeybee, the genetic make-up of the population as well as genetic engineering. It also supports scientific work relative to the genetics of the honeybee, if the aim is useful for attaining the breeding objective.
The breeding history is documented in pedigrees. This is a transparent process. Records of approximately 4000 breeding queens can be found on the website of the European Buckfast Beekeepers Federation. You can also view the breeding results of any particular bee breeder recommended by the Federation.

The Purpose of Breeding:
The intended result of breeding is a population of bees as docile as well as prolific, resistant to diseases, productive and well adapted to their given environment. We want colonies facilitating a quick check and ensuring viable beekeeping.
The aforementioned is achieved by taking into consideration the specific relationship among the strains of honeybees while simultaneously retaining the genetic diversity of the population.

Regards
Reiner

-
I think that Buckfast is only native bee to England- after last Ice Ace
AMM has born in Africa and it spreaded first to Spain and then to north.

Then I also prefer single malts to blends... just a matter of taste... a 12 year old Islay awaits!
not worthy
not worthynot worthy

Which distillery? because if i remember correctly the whisky actually called 'Islay malt' is a blend made in Glasgow

-
I think that Buckfast is only native bee to England- after last Ice Ace
AMM has born in Africa and it spreaded first to Spain and then to north.

A recent study indicated that Apis Mellifera originated in Europe.

Migrations of European honey bee lineages into Africa, Asia, and North America during the Oligocene and Miocene

Kotthoff, Ulrich; Wappler, Torsten; Engel, Michael
EGU General Assembly 2013, held 7-12 April, 2013 in Vienna, Austria, id. EGU2013-4143

http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2013/EGU2013-4143.pdf

So is "Buckfast" a catch-all term for any purpose-bred (in line with Br Adam's original objectives) strain of bees, a generic Black/Italian hybrid, or something more specific?

A recent study indicated that Apis Mellifera originated in Europe.

Migrations of European honey bee lineages into Africa, Asia, and North America during the Oligocene and Miocene

[/url]

It handles where are fossils. But recent Apis MM comes from Africa. So says genemapping.

AMM was last to arrive to Europa.

Which distillery? because if i remember correctly the whisky actually called 'Islay malt' is a blend made in Glasgow

http://www.islayinfo.com/islay_laphroaig_distillery.html

Laphroaig... 10 year old... (but I have had a stash kept for at least since 1992 when a certain Knight of our Realm willed me his collection of single malts!)

I have a few that say distillery bottled 12 year matured in oak casks

Not your Waitrose cobbled together stuff........ and certainly not Teachers!!!

It handles where are fossils. But recent Apis MM comes from Africa. So says genemapping.

AMM was last to arrive to Europa.

When did Finland break away from Gonwandaland?
Did you see the discovery of the Icelandic Honey bee species..
..... Apis mellifera brrrruuuurrriffera now extinct?

Laphroaig... 10 year old... (but I have had a stash kept for at least since 1992 when a certain Knight of our Realm willed me his collection of single malts!)

That's O.K. then - I like the Bunnahabhain and the caol Isla but I prefer the purer malt flavour, I do like Jura 12 year old, but not the new fancy stuff in flavoured casks but the original 'recipe' using brand new casks for that pure malt flavour.
Springbank is another 'like' 12 Y/O much betterr than the 10 and I do (or maybe that's did) have a 20 year old bottle somewhere :D

Latest posts

Back