Which Areas Are Still Getting Pollen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackberries are in fruit in County Armagh so there is very little pollen to be had from them but there still seems to be a fair bit of white clover in places and an abundance of Ragweed and Rosebay Willow herb. Ivy is coming out in force now as well.

Plenty of pollen in South Cheshire,Balsam, Willow Herb and Blackberry. :hurray:

My girls are bringing in bright orange pollen today.

I think mine are on the 2nd white clover flowering. Large pollen baskets, off white in colour but not bramble. The recent rain and sunday + monday's warmth has brought some fresh nectar in.

Miserable here for the last 2 days, but they have still been out when it wasnt raining hard...

No change in my part of North Yorks, emergency feeding at 1.5 ltr syrup per hive per week for last 2 weeks. Bay Willow and Balsalm pollen coming in but not a significant associated nectar flow, hopefully the emergency feeding is at least keeping the protein foraging going for winter population laying.

On the positive side wife dragged me out at the weekend, we foraged approximately 200 yards from the human hive and are bringing in plenty of blackberries - I'd like to think the girls had something to do with it earlier in the year!

Good year for the blackberries Rosti collected 8 lbs over two walks with the dog have now got jam coming out of my ears.

As for pollen lots of bright orange coming into my hive at the moment no idea what it is but lots of it

Saw blackberries on the bushes (not hedge) near Morrisons. They were bigger than the ones for sale in the store...

Looked at bees several times this morning and there was only the odd one or two bring any pollen back.
Think there was some heavy rain last night.
Not unit after mid day did they start bring a bit more in but nowhere near as busy as they were on Saturday.... Mid you,, must be a bit daunting have to keep poking your head inside a wet flower...

Lots of dark red/orange pollen in West Sussex. Only problem is that, as the bees return, the hornets are attacking them, killing them and flying away with them. Any suggestions - they are new colonies and so not very strong.

still foraging like mad in bingley west yorshire,bright orange pollen and balsam coated bees entering the hives.

Upper Rhondda Fach S.Wales PractIcally no pollen for a week, but loads of nectar. Autumn arrives early in this part of the country.

Lots of dark red/orange pollen in West Sussex. Only problem is that, as the bees return, the hornets are attacking them, killing them and flying away with them. Any suggestions - they are new colonies and so not very strong.

Are they attacking them actually on the hive,, or are they attempting to enter the entrance? If they are trying to get in, narrow the entrance down to about 2 cm, and they will be better able to defend that size, without anything sneaking past.

Our bees were being attacked by wasps, and even after taking the entrance down, they would fight it out on the floor in front of the hive, and the wasps would fly away with the bees bodies :cuss: It was distressing, but the colony have held their own and are thriving.

Search for wasps in the search box, there are lots of threads with great suggestions and lots of info on here.

Last edited:
Still lots of pollen, the balsam, some other creamy white stuff and the bright orange. It's vivid. I'm still holding out for the blue pollen though ;)

Opened the hive a few days ago to put on Hivemaker's thymol - and thought 'Oh, new queen - odd bees, they all have white backs...' 24 hours later brain clicks/bumps/whirrs and bingo!! Himalayan Balsam obviosly survived the local cull...

Latest posts

Back