Which Areas Are Still Getting Pollen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My girls in dorset nice and busy- some pale pollen plus apparently nectar.

I think we just need a decent spell of sunshine to get things blooming again.

last years august was wet, cold and windy (everyone was talking about winter in late august), but we had a cracking september!

Possibly michaelmas daisies? These I believe, have a similar affect on honey to osr.

Asters or osteospermun? both daisy like Asters arent out for a few more weeks here in cornwall but osteos would be out and plenty, there again there again there are lots of others depends how big flower is??

Girls in bodmin are bring in bright hot coal orange pollen and some fairly pale stuff as well, still working really hard, loads of activity in the afternoon,

Pollen

Be interesting to know in which areas of the UK bees are still bringing lots of pollen in, and is there any areas getting none?

Hi
Getting orange and off-white(corn?) here in Somerset.:driving:

Pollen but next to no nectar, feeding all nucs and some full colonies, just enough to keep the queen laying

I'm a bit concerned now. Although I've not down to watch them, I usually see one or two bringing pollen as I have a quick 30 sec check, not seen them bring in any pollen at all today, although admittedly, I've not watched and it has been raining so not as many flying as there normally would be. I still usually spot one or two with a cursory glance. Is this normal......I don't know why I'm stressing, I'll go and have a good watch on a sunny afternoon before I lose sleep lol

Lots of stores, little pollen, inspected today.

Last edited:
White pollen, yellow ditto, orange ditto..
LOTS

Possibly michaelmas daisies? These I believe, have a similar affect on honey to osr.

I harvested some sticky orangey honey last year which when the pollen was looked at microscopically, contained mainly aster pollen. The honey still isn't fully set and the taste was lovely. It didn't set like OSR.
Cazza

I harvested some sticky orangey honey last year which when the pollen was looked at microscopically, contained mainly aster pollen. The honey still isn't fully set and the taste was lovely. It didn't set like OSR.
Cazza

Michaelmas Daisies are a type of Aster, but your note on not setting (assuming it was MD) was interesting and good news:.)

Outskirts of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, plenty of pollen and nectar going in until today, heavy rain, hang on its clearing as I type so they will now carry on. Lots of Balsam which seems to be the favourite here.

Such mixed messages in South- some treating for varroa already- some still leaving supers on to harvest. The weather isn't so good and the Apilife needs 4 weeks of treatments after harvesting before feed offered and the bees need time to store and reduce the syrup- a fine balancing act :confused:
But bees still piling in the pollen though the nectar flow much less. Loads of brood, so looking healthy for the winter ;)

Pencoed South Wales
White / orange pollen bees non stop till about 8.30 pm ish I was watching last night one came in 9.15pm covered in H balsam :party:

Grub

Cazza

worth growing half an acre??

Latest posts

Back