Which Areas Are Still Getting Pollen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how many of those that are bringing in pollen are also being fed?

I had a small colony last autumn which I fed early. It was my only colony not to survive the winter. A notable point was the bees that were being fed, wern't bothering to forage.

As pollen is used for brood production, if we feed early are we interupting healthy brood production of winter bees?

A possible cause for collapsing hives in winter??

Disclaimer before being shot down: I am still a newbie, I have no scientific proof and am only thinking aloud!! :bigear:

odd thing, my bees dont look at the flowers in my garden and there are some nice bright pretty colours and shapes:willy_nilly: they just leave the hive, gain a bit of height and zoom off across the roof tops.
Bees rarely forage close to their own hive since they defecate on leaving it. This is a hygiene thing since the they avoid bringing back any intestinal diseases the colony may be suffering from, well would you s*** on your own doorstep?

Interesting idea peteinwilts. My guess would be that if you fed too much too early you might have inadvertently suppressed the production of Winter bees.

In Winter I see bees bringing in pollen when there is no nectar, so I don't see why feeding syrup would reduce pollen collection... the foragers should be directed to collect whatever the hive needs most.

I am feeding my bees: it rains almost everyday. In between the showers, they keep bringing in pollen. If the weather is fine and dry (sunny as well would be nice.. but not in August so far), I find I do not have to refill feeders much.

So it would appear bees prefer to forage.. when they can.

In between showers they are bringing in lime pollen - from Biddulph Grange Gardens approx 0.5miles away and HB pollen from Biddulph Brook - about 1/3 mile away.. and some nectar as well.

Today "in between showers" was 20 minutes this am and about 40 minutes this pm (that's TOTAL time)... so not much chance to fly far...

My bees got all excited this afternoon when it stopped raining and came out for a dance around. Then it suddenly chucked it down and they beat a hasty retreat.

Bees rarely forage close to their own hive since they defecate on leaving it. This is a hygiene thing since the they avoid bringing back any intestinal diseases the colony may be suffering from, well would you s*** on your own doorstep?

But they crap in there water supply if it's near the hives,and if one has nosema they all get it.

Loads of HB pollen and deep orange pollen here in Shrewsbury. Working very very hard when not raining

Loads of pollen here in little old Wigan :coolgleamA:
Balsam, rose bay, great willow herb , golden rod , it's hardly summer here yet :leaving:

John Wilkinson

So it seems that although some parts of the country has had a lot more rain than others that pollen collection isnt proportionaly affected...

I wonder if I can get a grant?????

Plenty in Northern Ireland

The blackberries are starting to bloom and there is alot of green pollen going in. I must have alot of hymilain balsam here too as there is alot of stores and i can see the destinctive white mohawk in their thorax. I didnt know what it was at the start. it looks very funny.

White and orange pollen here in South Yorks.

With regards to feeding I have had to emergncy feed a lot of my hives as they are swarms collected his year and not had enough time to build up enough stores.
However I swear that at least one of the hives only started collecting huge amounts of pollen AFTER I started to feed them!
I want to feed them just enough to get through my Varroa treatment which I will start soon and then I will winter feed later.

not just pollen now.... my 4 strongest hives have started filling supers again.. :party: (super half filled in a week... mostly still uncapped at the moment though)

if only we had a bit more nice weather....

Can I just ask, I know how to spot pollen, how do you tell whether the bees are bringing in nectar?

all good in london

look of big yellowish ball on the bees back legs as thay land

Mel1 of 4,
Look for bees with no pollen on their legs that crash land on the hive they are flying at max all up weight plus a bit loaded with nectarbee-smillie

In Andover, there's small amounts of light yellow pollen coming in. Not too much nectar.

White and orange pollen here in South Yorks.

With regards to feeding I have had to emergncy feed a lot of my hives as they are swarms collected his year and not had enough time to build up enough stores.
However I swear that at least one of the hives only started collecting huge amounts of pollen AFTER I started to feed them!
I want to feed them just enough to get through my Varroa treatment which I will start soon and then I will winter feed later.

bees like balance
feeding carbohydrate( sugar) encourages them to forage for protein ( pollen)

Latest posts

Back