Where to buy thymol crystals?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tberni

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
several
Been looking at Hivemakers impressive mix recipe. Because I have quite a few hives can anyone recommend a good place to buy thymol crystals.
Thanks
Tim

and T hornes and P aynes and m aisemore, in fact of the major suppliers I use only MB supplies didn't.

Fraggle planit (sad spelling deliberate).

c wynne jones is the cheapest i think, and they had plenty last week

c wynne jones is the cheapest i think, and they had plenty last week

:iagree:
£27.83 for 1kg they do sell in smaller quanties plus p&p cheapest I could find on the net but I'm sure someone will come along with a cheaper supplier

:iagree:
£27.83 for 1kg they do sell in smaller quanties plus p&p cheapest I could find on the net but I'm sure someone will come along with a cheaper supplier

Fragile Planet sell it in 100 mg sachets or any other size if you ask. £6.50 mine cost. Expensive but I didn't want any more until I had tried it out. Only problem was that when they used a heating gadget to seal the plastic sachet, it kinked in three places and leaked the bloody crystals, making me wonder if the aircon in the car was defunct - until I realised of course!!!

"Fragile Planet sell it in 100 mg sachets or any other size if you ask. £6.50 mine cost. Expensive"

yes that was expensive. mine cost £6.50 from them for 100g!!!! you were done.

BTW the FP brochure in my pack from last year is so saturated with thymol i was considering cutting it up and using it to treat nucs.

"Fragile Planet sell it in 100 mg sachets or any other size if you ask. £6.50 mine cost. Expensive"

yes that was expensive. mine cost £6.50 from them for 100g!!!! you were done.

BTW the FP brochure in my pack from last year is so saturated with thymol i was considering cutting it up and using it to treat nucs.

C Wynne Jones 100g cost £7.07 inc VAT and P&P received NEXT DAY !!!

I resent giving the government 20% VAT for something that will probably save the planet.... thieving bastards!

Last edited:
I use Peter Folge from our neighboring association

http://beesandwasps.co.uk/Products.aspx

Thymol Crystal special rates 2011:
(All include "Insured UK Postage")

500g - £19.50
1kg - £30.00 per kg: £ 30.00 + p&p £6.50 = £ 36.50
2kg - £29.00 per kg: £ 58.00 + p&p £10.00 = £ 68.00
3Kg - £28.50 per Kg: £ 85.50 + p&p £10.50 = £ 96.00
4kg - £28.00 per Kg: £112.00 + p&p £14.00 = £126.00

Last edited:
Many thanks to all - I think I will give Wynne Jones a call for 1kg.

Tim

Many thanks to all - I think I will give Wynne Jones a call for 1kg.

Tim

By COLONIES : several....do you mean several 100?

you will need a 1/2 litre bottle of Iso Propyl Alcohol to dissolve that lot.... lecethin it seems is sold in 1/2kg tins

you can use it up in honey cake! (lecethin that is!!!)

:willy_nilly:
:willy_nilly
::willy_nilly::
willy_nilly:

"By COLONIES : several....do you mean several 100?"

not as many as you think. (i know from experience having miscalculated the other way and ending up having to buy extra twice this autumn!!!!).

each hive requires 24g for HM treatment recipe so that 1kg would only cover 41 colonies.

and that is before making up syrup additive - 25x 1 gallon from each batch of 30g thymol. 41 hives at 2 gallons each requires 98g

So we're talking around 1.1kg for 40 colonies. 1kg = 36 colonies.

thymol comes in 100g, 500g or 1kg at CWJ.

presumably the poster just wants to save on costs and more postage next year.

presumably the poster just wants to save on costs and more postage next year.

Yes, and quite right too. Any left over this year will keep for next, but it must be stored properly.

Buying in bulk certainly reduces the costs over the longer term. A kilo for just over 30 quid delivered is better than half a kilo from the 'best known' supplier for about 23 quid (or over £60 ber kilo in 100g lots).

3 kilos is even better value, as the shipping is still only 8 quid.

RAB

Hello
I have over 100 hives so based on the previous 2 posts I think that I may need to buy 3kg. Many thanks for your posts - especially the last 2.
Tim

if anyones interested, i over ordered thymol crytsals from wynnes! I can send you x amount at cost. Also, i bought too much lectin (500g), ill never use it so can supply that too. pm me if interested

And you can add a sprinkle of the lecithin to your porridge to use up any perceived excess.

Back