When to add the Super and should we use an excluder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
First off I'd like to say Hi!

We got our first bees three weeks ago and its been great having them buzzing about the garden and yard. And only one sting so far when youngest son trod on one. He learned respect in one fast lesson! lol.

But we now have a couple of questions.

We checked both hives today and one has filled five frames out of ten and the other has filled seven. Lots of lovely baby bees! Funny how something so maggoty can be cute when its a bee and not a fly!

So.............

When should we put the supers on?

And to queen exclude or not?

Being so new to this, any information or advice will be very welcome.

Hi, welcome
Exciting isn't it...

When those bees are beginning to work on the outside 2 frames in the brood box put a super on. When the bees are beginning to draw out that super foundation-then take that super off to one side, carefully- then put a queen excluder in- then return super to above that QE.

I don't know if it was the way our queens went in (left in cage for three days as per advice from shop) but both hives have started on one side and are working twards the other side, rather than starting in the middle. So when I say five and seven frames filled, its from the edge, not the middle.

Should we wait until they reach the last two frames or move things around to make it more even?

And yes, its been cracking good fun so far and we havnt even gotten to the honey bit lol!

The basics are of course the same, but the devil is aye in the detail.

And the major detail difference tween us is weather. and most are blissfully unaware to what extent the weather does make a difference.

Having read 30 years worth of Gleanings and ABJ I do have in inkling or three. ;)

PH

I think it is great that you joined us and I know I would love to hear how you get on. Over here, especially in the North, we alll think, if only the weather was better.......

PH has a point, certainly but hopefully a lot of advice on here will be helpful, regardless of the weather situation - raising queens, bee behavour etc so it'd be a pity if you withdrew from this forum.

You'd lose a great resource and we'd lose the chance to learn about beekeeping in the heat.

Whatever you decide - enjoy your bees!

Well your hubby was right its a cracking good site, and thankyou for your post as I have learnt something, didnt realise/think about leaving QE off when the first super goes on guess as you are waiting for it to be drawn out the odds of her maj using it is unlikely.

My question is What are the benifits of not putting the QE on will it get drawn quicker??

Cheers folks, and all the best in Sunny Florida

If no one minds, I might just lurk about and read back posts for awhile and have a nice hot cuppa.

I love a new hobby :hurray:

Oh, another question, how long does one feed a new hive? We stopped feeding three days ago as the bees are going great guns and so many trees are in bloom - as well as something with electric orange pollen - that we didnt think they needed any more but I got to worrying so thought I would ask.

Package bees need feeding to initiate comb building. Most bee colonies, when delivered/collected, need no feeding - they should have enough stores to keep them going for a while.

Feeding depends on forage and stores - as simple as that. The beekeeper observes whether stores are increasing/decreasing/remaining static and how much is present - and makes a decision on those observations. Often, there is no need to open the hive to know.

RAB

My question is What are the benifits of not putting the QE on will it get drawn quicker??

Some colonies resist going through the excluder for some reason and ignore the super above. Others just go straight up there. Bees are funny like that.

As a result leaving it out covers you for the former bunch. Once they have "discovered" it slot the excluder in, just be careful the queen has not decided to pay a visit up there when you do - you'll trap her in the super.

Dinna get oer bold Heather me dear you are but four hours away.... ;)

If you have loads of blossom stop the feed and let them self cater....lol

PH

And if you need any translation with Poly Hives input- here to help :biggrinjester:

I come from the same part of the world as PH, and some times i strugle with some of the words he slips in :willy_nilly:

Aye- but he is an immigrant!

Aye so am i :hurray: in a country full of immigrants. like the British bee....More likely to see a immigrant than a British bee. same in England more likely to see a immigrant than an Englishman.

I stopped to ask this chap for directions last week in St Ives (He was walking his dog). He looked at me for a few seconds then said No Speak English. I looked at the wife and just started laughing. Could only happen in England!

Last edited:
And if you need any translation with Poly Hives input- here to help :biggrinjester:

With a Gordie grandad and an Irish hubby, I can usually figure out what most folks are trying to say :smilielol5:

Here's one of our lovely ladies in a small sunflower.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back