When is the best time to replace a queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would need to replace a cpl of queens too but nobody sells bees anymore

my bees have been moody for a few weeks. it is the weather.

I personally would not mess with the politics of the hive until next year unless I was forced to do so. (and would probably combine regardless)

Getting as much brood raised before Winter would be my priority, grumpy or not..

Think you will have to live with it for now. About May/June next year I reckon. There are loads of sites where you can login and place a reservation email for a new one - Beeman for instance who does virgins as well as mated jobs - or even Michael Collier at Cornbrook Bee Farm. Googling is your best option.

Last edited:
One of the guys in our association still has queens.
Just google
Buy a Native Black Queen
if you want to take a look.

Leave them be as the weather is not great and if the bees are not happy with the queen they will supercede.

I plan to replace a couple of queens: early next year .. through uniting... after squishing the unwanted Q

I personally would not mess with the politics of the hive until next year unless I was forced to do so. (and would probably combine regardless)

Getting as much brood raised before Winter would be my priority, grumpy or not..

That sounds very sound! Follow it. Bees have been preparing for winter for a few weeks now - terrrible time for messing about. If you want healthy stocks, that is

:iagree:
If she is laying well leave alone. A bit late in the season to take any chances unless you are forced to IMHO.

Latest posts

Back