when is it time for first inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's 12˚ and I'm going to take a cup of tea up to the apiary and watch them for a while. If the weather continues like this.....wall to wall sunshine today..... I will have a look maybe at the weekend when they are busy on the pussy willow.

That'll be never where I live.

Sorry, I had to laugh at that!!
I think our bees ooop north have a hard time of it but at least they get lots of sycamore,blackberry and ivy.
I'm really envious of beekeepers down sarf where the sun shines....sigh

My bees are flying well out of their hives should I open them for an inspection?

The first thing you have to think about is, what are you looking for when you under go your first spring inspection?

I over winter my bees in a nuc, so when it is a warm (10`c - 12`c) and windless day. I move my bees into a national brood box.

your first spring inspection, isn't really an inspection. It is more like a quick ****.

I moved the 5 frames from my nuc box into the national brood box and added a sugar feed frame. I saw the the queen had started laying brood but it had all taken no longer than 3 minutes. Inspection over.

Don't stress out your bees. The way I winter my bees means that I have 2 - 3 weeks untill I do my next inspection and even then the bees will not swarm untill the queen has filled all the brood frames.

P-E-A-K is picked up on the beekeeping forum web system as a swear word lol sorry ppl lol

Thought it was 12 degrees. Doesn't Hooper say 12? Don't hold me to that though, I'm going from memory, which never serves me correctly :)

15'c min

End of March or early April, you really need 15c+ and a nice calm day, you will do more harm than good exposing the brood if its to cold. You can heft a hive to see if food is required, you will later be looking for a good brood pattern, any disease and frame replacement, plenty of time yet.

Have a look asap when the bees are flying and the temp is 12c.
I opened mine and lifted each frame the week before last.

Damn. I could have done it on Saturday, then, as it was just over 15C and they were going mental.

In a good way, that is.

Can you make me one too please, I am sure I can find a use for it!!!!!
Presume all the old blokes tales were before global warming or climate change?
Louise

As a long standing Radio amateur ,I learned a long time ago ,not tell a depressed American to "keep his pecker up" :willy_nilly:

John Wilkinson

I did my first quick inspection today, thermometer next to the hives was reading 20 deg so went in to check on stores level and laying queen. There tucked away in a little orchard so very well sheltered from wind and in direct sunlight.

As a long standing Radio amateur ,I learned a long time ago ,not tell a depressed American to "keep his pecker up" :willy_nilly:

John Wilkinson

and along the same lines, a friend of mine conducting a food safety audit in the States was reported to his auditing body and repremanded because at the lunch break he announced that he was just nipping outside for a fag :rofl:

Likewise ,Hobo's object to being referred to as tramps :p

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back