What's your tipple?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Now that Christmas is over, all the relations have come and gone (hopefully) and some of us have bottles of strange booze.
I was wondering what you loved to get and what you hated. I have some nice bottles of Nyetimber English Fizz and somebody kindly gave me a couple of bottles of sparkling Pinot from Penarth which I will open tomorrow :)
On the downside I have a bottle of Unicum .....having read the description I daren't even open it

What's your tipple?

Interesting question!

Unicum is certainly an acquired taste. I was given some by my Lithuanian mate and got halfway through it. But he's threatening to come over in '14, so I have to drink it. [Don't anyone dare suggest chucking it away! It's alcohol!]

I was given a bottle of 12 year old Hibiki Suntory (Japanese) Whisky. Now I'm a dedicated single malt scotch man, the smokier the better, so this was a test. And I have to say, I've really enjoyed it! Lots of caramel and honey on the nose, fruity taste and a long, smooth finish. Won't last long!

But what I drink varies. Can't beat a good, hoppy bitter or a smooth mild. Chilean Merlot, a Minervois or a Rioja are a delight. But sitting, as now, with a decent pear cider, a bit of Stilton and rubbish on the box, is pretty close to heaven. [With the dearly beloved, of course!]

Dusty

Any decent malt - I like the smoky ones but my favourite is a clear pure malt - a 21 year old Springbank or a bog standard new cask Jura (16 YO is good) champagne - drier the better. I do like Mumms cordon rouge but I'll setttle for a Bollinger or a Lanson.
I do enjoy Dutch Genever - Ketl if it's the plain stuff, but any of the fruit ones, Coeberg classic Bessen being my favourite.
But nothing beats a slug of your own sloe gin on a cold frosty morning.

I also like tea - I don't drink Twinings any more as they've moved their outfit abroad. a nice punchy Assam does it for me or Glengettie Welsh brew. Uorkshire tea do a good one - the Rwandan blend, nice (at last, something good to come out of Yorkshire!

As for beer - any good ale, depends on my mood.
Wine - like the odd third world one, but any decent italian and a nice Rioja

Years ago when I was an apprentice I had a part time job in a pub and the land lord showed my a trick, after serving 2 or 3 fine malt whiskies to a customer when he asks for a forth give him cheap old stuff and he will never tell the difference, I can only say that after 2 years of doing this I only had one complaint

Any decent malt - I like the smoky ones but my favourite is a clear pure malt - a 21 year old Springbank or a bog standard new cask Jura (16 YO is good) champagne - drier the better. I do like Mumms cordon rouge but I'll setttle for a Bollinger or a Lanson.
I do enjoy Dutch Genever - Ketl if it's the plain stuff, but any of the fruit ones, Coeberg classic Bessen being my favourite.

/QUOTE]

You must miss relieving smugglers of their ill gotten gains, Jenkinsbrynmair.

Dusty

My list of likes is rather long:
peaty malts
hoppy real ales
white port
champagne
fino sherry
madeira
Aperol spritz
Those are just a few.

Dislikes are more limited: vodka,gin and alcopops

Cazza

Any ground coffee, hate instant coffee
Just been introduced to sparkling Lambrusco, sounds retro but is amazing and a good starter to parties, as is a nice light bottle of prossecco (spelling!)
Like any dry white wines and a good port with my Christmas cake
Spirit wise I like a nice glass of malt but unfortunately it makes me snore so I am banned from drinking it!
Best of all I like my nice clear un messed with spring water that runs out of my taps.
Mmmmmm!
E

Just been bought one of those coffee pod machines I do love my coffee. On the alcohol front I do like the aldi Magnum of prosseco (speeeling). Port is another new friend lol.

Malts ( not too peaty, tastes creosote) monkey shoulder, a blend of three malts goes down very nicely thank you. The bottle is an appealing bit of glassware if you enjoy aesthetics !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Earl Grey tea and Columbian medium roast coffee, I don't see the point in decaf coffee a bit like having a fag without nicotine, and alcohol is the devils works.

We are mostly wine drinkers, so Pinot Grigio (and similar whites) appeal to swmbo, while good reds, like a delightful Barberra which is currently maturing, are more to my taste, especially with darker meats.

We don't consume that much spirits but the 'inevitable' sloe gin is a delight at his time of the year, as is apricot brandy and peach schnapps, ... amongst others.

However the choice apart from the PG is currently Angel Blanco, gooseberry, rhubarb, zinfandel, soave and a choice of apple wines. The reds include merlot, and gammay, but I am choosey with my reds (and I'm being spoilt by that Barberra!).

Elderberry is close to drinking quality and mead is not far behind. Maybe early in the new year...

So a wide choice for us. There are others, including the pear cider....

RAB

A good stock there Rab, reminds me of my granddad he always had a demijohn or two bubbling away in the kitchen, when I was 12 years old and went to visit him he always said "glass of wine boy" and shortly after "don't tell your mother", luckily it was always after school and I had to pedal home :cheers2:

A good Malt .. I look for taste rather than being snitty about it being a single malt - not immensely fussy but not too peaty ... son bought me a bottle of 15 year old Glenfarclas for Xmas which is slipping down nicely ... I may have to put a padlock on the box !

A nice fruity red wine ... happiest with French reds but a have a few bottles of a Ugandan Beaujolais hidden away which is superb !

A few cask ales take my fancy and I wouldn't be without a bottle of Croft Original on Christmas morning to accompany my cooking the dinner ... strangely, it doesn't appeal much the rest of the year !

And GOOD PROPER COFFEE ... none of your instant decoffinated crap .... Illy medium roast is my current tipple - in the absence of my coffee grinder which gave up the ghost just after Christmas .... it'll do as a pre-ground substitute.

YORKSHIRE Tea - of course (but only after 3.00pm) ... As you all now know this is exported, under duress, to the philistines in West Wales who have clearly come to appreciate a PROPER tea !!

have a few bottles of a Ugandan Beaujolais hidden away which is superb !

Hmm, have to remember that one in case I end up there and not Lesotho

I'm with you on the Croft original on Christmas morning - in the days when the morning was my own and I'd do the cooking it would be chilling down in the freezer before being kept in the fridge. Any fino sherry really, but not that often nowadays

A wide choice from everybody.
Camp Coffee? Memories of childhood....can you still get it HM?

Elderberry is close to drinking quality and mead is not far behind. Maybe early in the new year...

RAB

I have bottled my elderflower mead ...I fear the flower overwhelms though you can definitely taste the honey.

PS....JB, there was an ulterior motive to this thread:)

Last edited:
Bombay Sapphire,lime,ice and tonic. The quinine successfully wards off malaria.
Do Aldi gin when impoverished.
Stella
Baileys
Wine
Taittinger
Schnapps
Sherry
Gin
More gin
MacDonalds coffee
Yorkshire Gold
Gin

Bombay Sapphire,lime,ice and tonic. The quinine successfully wards off malaria.
Do Aldi gin when impoverished.
Stella
Baileys
Wine
Taittinger
Schnapps
Sherry
Gin
More gin
MacDonalds coffee
Yorkshire Gold
Gin

:icon_204-2: good one...love it

i wonder how everybody's lists will change tomorrow morning

Camp coffee, brings back memories of visits to my Great Grandfather, happy days.

Definitely red wine, Tempranillo, Shiraz.
I find a good Rioja goes with anything :)

Hobgoblin hits the spot on a nice, sunny afternoon.

Latest posts

Back