What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday was 13 degrees and sunny. I decided to weed amongst my allotment snowdrops - the patch is in front of my two hives. Delighted to be joining workers who were collecting pollen. The wonderful smell of wax etc wafting from the hives raised my spirits and the traffic through both entrances was steady and suggesting my colonies have fared well. Wonderful!

Our Alder dropping their catkins already. The quince leaves will be open soon too

London - different planet
No sign of any Blackthorn down here in the Costa del Fareham - far too early, there's a few ornamental cherry that are starting to break bud but the fruiting cherry in my garden is not even in bud yet.

No sign of any Blackthorn down here in the Costa del Fareham - far too early, there's a few ornamental cherry that are starting to break bud but the fruiting cherry in my garden is not even in bud yet.
Interestingly, according to this distribution map, Hampshire doesn't look to be a particularly good area for Blackthorn?
Norfolk and West Wales look brilliant in comparison.

http://www.wildflowerweb.co.uk/plant/55/blackthorn

There are lots alongside the road I take to work, loads of hedgerows with Blackthorn in them where we walk the dog - I've picked buckets full of sloes in years past to make sloe gin. I'm not sure which part of Hampshire is devoid of Blackthorn but it's certainly not the part that I live in. I'll post some photos when they finally come into blossom.

Latest posts

Back