What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't know about forage - but as I was walking through the apple threes the other day I found this little beauty sprouting out of my Prince Albertfb.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpg

Last edited:
Deep envy!
Stan and I have been trying to do this for twelve years. Every year a failure !
I seeded all the apple trees, must be ten years ago it's only this year there's been any growth, and only on this one, dwarf tree so there's hope for you yet

I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er moors and rhynes,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden celandines,

celandines-rotated.jpg

Well, ok, not that many, but given that some people seem to be talking as though they'll soon be harvesting their first strawberries, this is the best I can do right now.

Apologies to some bloke called William who knew the value of a well-chosen phrase.

James

Apologies to some bloke called William who knew the value of a well-chosen phrase
only under the supervision of his sister - apparently the original went 'I wandered lonely as a cow' but his sister made him change it

only under the supervision of his sister - apparently the original went 'I wandered lonely as a cow' but his sister made him change it
Makes good sense to change it as it’s difficult to imagine a cow floating high over vales and hills…..

I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er moors and rhynes,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden celandines,

celandines-rotated.jpg

Well, ok, not that many, but given that some people seem to be talking as though they'll soon be harvesting their first strawberries, this is the best I can do right now.

Apologies to some bloke called William who knew the value of a well-chosen phrase.

James
I don't think that one has made it down under. Never seen it before. It looks a little bit like a dandelion.

I don't think that one has made it down under. Never seen it before. It looks a little bit like a dandelion.

From a distance sometimes it can particularly as the colours are very similar, though they're quite different up close. I think celandines are related to buttercups, but the flowers are flatter.

James

From a distance sometimes it can particularly as the colours are very similar, though they're quite different up close. I think celandines are related to buttercups, but the flowers are flatter.

James
We do see buttercups. This is my back "lawn" at the moment so Buckley's of seeing buttercups now.

Attachments

• IMG_20240210_142155248_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20240210_142155248_HDR (1).jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 1
I shall do the rounds tomorrow ever hopefully
IIRC there appear to be substrains of mistletoe which show host preference - so if you want it to grow on an apple tree, it's best to use a berry from mistletoe growing on another apple tree.

There's also a case for trying to mimic the passage through a bird's GIT as the temperature helps improve germination, as does partial digestion of the flesh (can buy chemicals to do this).

Alternatively you could try grafting it in rather than using a berry?

Blackthorn out in a few places here, the bushes in flower are fully so. Daffs and croci in the garden. Winter aconites were a couple of weeks ago. Hazel out aplenty (in Austria too).

IIRC there appear to be substrains of mistletoe which show host preference - so if you want it to grow on an apple tree, it's best to use a berry from mistletoe growing on another apple tree.

There's also a case for trying to mimic the passage through a bird's GIT as the temperature helps improve germination, as does partial digestion of the flesh (can buy chemicals to do this).

Alternatively you could try grafting it in rather than using a berry?

Blackthorn out in a few places here, the bushes in flower are fully so. Daffs and croci in the garden. Winter aconites were a couple of weeks ago. Hazel out aplenty (in Austria too).
Thanks Wil
Some useful info there.

Latest posts

Back