What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have probably posted this somewhere but could you describe the method in a bit more detail for me. Ta
Yes Eric vey simple set up.
A hive stand same height (or as near as) as the main hive, set is to the side out of the entrance flight path slightly forward of the hive. Place a clearer board down as the floor ( I use a rapid clearer design copied off Dave Cushman's site before RP had practically over written most of it), supers on top a CB & roof.
As per usual next morning only a very few stragglers still remain.

Tbh it's a method I haven't used much before but it certainly saves humping heavy supers back up top for clearing.

A field sown with OSR last August failed for some reason so mustard was sown in its place this spring. Is mustard good for a honey crop does anyone know?

Attachments

• 1B6FC8A5-9A65-4757-A8F9-C249B99AD726.jpeg
    1B6FC8A5-9A65-4757-A8F9-C249B99AD726.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
A hive stand same height (or as near as) as the main hive, set is to the side out of the entrance flight path slightly forward of the hive. Place a clearer board down as the floor ( I use a rapid clearer design copied off Dave Cushman's site before RP had practically over written most of it), supers on top a CB & roof.

Tbh it's a method I haven't used much before but it certainly saves humping heavy supers back up top for clearing.
I'd imagine it wouldn't be too long before bees found the "entrance" through the clearer board & started robbing it - at least judging by how they found a one-bee sized hole in a stack of wet supers today! (I guess more scent of honey though).

A field sown with OSR last August failed for some reason so mustard was sown in its place this spring. Is mustard good for a honey crop does anyone know?
it's a brassica, just like OSR, so you will get a crop - but it will crystalise just as quickly as Mazola honey

Small leaved limes in Usk were covered in blossom mid week, the scent was amazing. Some huge lime trees, all in flower but three small leaved stood out.

All ours were bought as small leaf limes but I am not sure I know the difference.
Small leaved lime (native) has symmetrical leaves, and hairs on underside of leaves by vein joints tend to be brownish; common lime (hybrid; the most commonly planted tree in grounds, municipal situations etc) tends to have asymmetrical leaves, with white hair tufts on the underside. It also has lots of epicormic growth when large. Large leave lime (native) is rare, has very big leaves (!), which are downy on their upper surface.

Rosebay willow herb just starting south Hampshire -seems a bit early

Which of the numerous clearer designs on the site do you use Hemo?

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too long before bees found the "entrance" through the clearer board & started robbing it - at least judging by how they found a one-bee sized hole in a stack of wet supers today! (I guess more scent of honey though).

It will depend on the apiary and area , timing and duration as well.
I did so midday ish and went out about 8a.m next morning to remove the supers .
In my garden I can keep an eye on any untoward activity.
Though it is honey if sealed should be o.k.

It crystallises quicker than OSR and goes really hard and I was always told not to go anywhere near it as it is more trouble than it is worth .
others may have a different story to tell.

Back