What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found two fields of what I thought was rape - but seeing your photo it could be mustard. I’ll investigate properly next time out with the dogs. Is this sown as a catch crop / to reduce erosion etc during the Winter?
w've a lot of leaf raddish in flower and that looks a lot as rapes,it's seeded as greenfurtuliser.

Two shrubs that have survived the worst drought I have known:
- Salvia 'Hot lips' (what an evocative name!): has been in flower several weeks and today visited by honeybees (nearest hive 500m) and bumbles.
- Ceratostigma: lovely blue flowers in late summer-autumn. Occasionally visited by the spectacular hummingbird hawkmoth.
I've planted "hot lips" for the first time and real early.My goodnes what a wunderfull plant,it's blossoming since may and still is,during,this tiny plant grew over two square meters wide.

Today 17 nov,had a look around today,before posting this,cosmeas,borage,malva and hotlips still going strong,eupatorium and hedera almost done guess another 5 days or so,mahonia media,ball vibirnum and helleborus niger off for a good start,will keep blossoming all winter ,soon expecting first winterakonites popping up but they wait for the cold....mainly busy now saving seedling/shoots and let them root in in tiny pots for give aways early spring,i've tons of angelica and catnip seedlings,best polinater/bee plants ever.

Blackberry and clover are out here now too. It's been a wetter year and with the third consecutive La Nina, they both look ok. Some really powerful growth on the local blackberry.

There was a piece on the BBC News site earlier this week saying that November this year has been something like 2.2°C warmer than the long-term average. Probably explains why I saw a daisy flowering yesterday on my way back from the bee shed.

James

Blackberry and clover are out here now too. It's been a wetter year and with the third consecutive La Nina, they both look ok. Some really powerful growth on the local blackberry.

I seem to remember from my visit to Tas a few years go that blackberry is a noxious weed introduced by the early settlers. I remember swathes of it killed by a herbicide spraying policy.

I seem to remember from my visit to Tas a few years go that blackberry is a noxious weed introduced by the early settlers. I remember swathes of it killed by a herbicide spraying policy.
Yes, but I know someone born in the UK (and emigrated out here) who reckons there is more here. He eats kilos and kilos of them every year actually. I don't chase it or anything for honey, but they are delicious by themselves or in greek yoghurt with leatherwood honey drizzled over them. We have an enormous number of birds here but it's mostly starlings and blackbirds (....both also introduced of course) who spread the seeds around. We've also been very unsuccessfully trying to get rid of rabbits, European wasps and rats.

Yes, humans have done a great job.

We've also been very unsuccessfully trying to get rid of rabbits, European wasps and rats.
The worst invading species was of course Homo sapiens - at least that's what the Tasmanian tiger would think.....

Yucca plants flowering again in the cold drizzle. Confused obvsly. Will probably get slaughtered by the first frost.

We've had several frosts already, including last night. Still got up to 10°C when I was out this morning chainsawing logs though.

James

Back