What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No license most moors are owned by a trust or farmers or toffs.
Depends where you are ... if you want to take hives the the New Forest heather it's strictly controlled by permits and the sites are designated where you can site your bees and spaces allocated. Been a disaster by all accounts this year .... no rain down here for nearly two months in some areas and what there has been was not enough to dampen the top half inch of soil.

Depends where you are ... if you want to take hives the the New Forest heather it's strictly controlled by permits and the sites are designated where you can site your bees and spaces allocated. Been a disaster by all accounts this year .... no rain down here for nearly two months in some areas and what there has been was not enough to dampen the top half inch
Adding supers Up on the moors this morning.View attachment 33368View attachment 33369
18EF3BDF-6004-4CBF-B215-88CBCBE28225.jpegCF45D4FC-104E-4CB7-98AB-18B8E75985CB.jpeg
First photo demareed colony being finished off on the heather.
Second super frames being capped .

on the fellside there is heather, but not sure whether that’s within flying distance or not?
if it's within three miles, they'll fly to it - got colonies at the home apiary who have filled a super within a week - the nearest heather (scrappy growth well nearer than the good stuff) is 1.9 miles away

Never seen our bees on the HB like this year. One bee came in earlier at dusk and I thought it was a moth as it was so ghost like. Assume it’s because it‘s about the only flowers getting any water at the minute.

Oh god another 555 mites on the board today that's 1000 in two days!!!
I have a nuc over four frames and bluebell which is a large colony being treated with apiguard at present, can I dispatch bluebell and reunite the nuc which was a split in the spring?
Bluebells hive is feisty not aggressive and has a tendency to suffer with⁰ chalkbrood

Oh god another 555 mites on the board today that's 1000 in two days!!!
I have a nuc over four frames and bluebell which is a large colony being treated with apiguard at present, can I dispatch bluebell and reunite the nuc which was a split in the spring?
Bluebells hive is feisty not aggressive and has a tendency to suffer with⁰ chalkbrood
I had a colony drop 7 thousand mites over a month of vapes one year. In desperation I put Apivar on after the last drop was still high. The colony survived quite happily. The explanation was that the bees were bringing home mites from a collapsing colony somewhere. I’ll see if I can find the thread.

Just walking to the local deli for a spot of lunch and clocked these fellas working the lavender in someone’s garden ! The benefits of living in a city !
79669EF1-CC29-4731-8D48-C58013105972.jpeg

Today has a fairly stiff breeze blowing with clouds scudding across the sky and periods of sunshine. The Evodia trees are heaving about with bees trying to land on the flowers. Their struggles look like fighter jets trying to land on an aircraft carrier in a hurricane🗼🛩

Latest posts

Back