What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sycamore was going along nicely here but disappointingly most of the flowers have been stripped by the wind. It feels like late November here today.

The Hawthorn is on the way though so hopefully we'll get a bit of sun to go with it!

Just been looking back at my records. Colonies at home have a July gap rather than a June gap. June is my best ‘spring’ month. At 1000ft shows how far we are behind southern regions. It’s May for my colonies in the valley. Rowan not out yet or Sycamore. Fingers crossed June weather makes up for May! Raining again.

Narrow leaf Plantain (see pic) is everywhere around my hives and the bees seems to be actively working it. Never noticed this before and did not have had it down as a ‘bee plant’ as I hadn’t looked properly and thought the ‘flower’ was a grass seed head. Some of the pollen coming in seems to be the right colour to be from this plant, but I have no idea whether it provides nectar in any notable quantity/quality. Anyone have their bees working this and know?7CDA5A04-B762-4F1F-A7F0-2823EA3B76F3.jpeg

Narrow leaf Plantain (see pic) is everywhere around my hives and the bees seems to be actively working it. Never noticed this before and did not have had it down as a ‘bee plant’ as I hadn’t looked properly and thought the ‘flower’ was a grass seed head. Some of the pollen coming in seems to be the right colour to be from this plant, but I have no idea whether it provides nectar in any notable quantity/quality. Anyone have their bees working this and know?View attachment 26157
Not this year here yet but it is a valuable source of pollen

Narrow leaf Plantain (see pic) is everywhere around my hives and the bees seems to be actively working it. Never noticed this before and did not have had it down as a ‘bee plant’ as I hadn’t looked properly and thought the ‘flower’ was a grass seed head. Some of the pollen coming in seems to be the right colour to be from this plant, but I have no idea whether it provides nectar in any notable quantity/quality. Anyone have their bees working this and know?View attachment 26157
We get a similar plant here (a weed here). It seems brilliant for pollen. Make sure you don't mow it. It lasts right through summer here. This video was from a few months ago in late summer.

Attachments

• VID_20210131_095827738 (1).mp4
    9.1 MB
We get a similar plant here (a weed here). It seems brilliant for pollen. Make sure you don't mow it. It lasts right through summer here. This video was from a few months ago in late summer.
Couldn’t get the vid to work, but thanks all the same. I won’t be mowing (I’ll take any excuse I can get to not get the mower out!!!) especially in the current wet weather.

The sycamore was going along nicely here but disappointingly most of the flowers have been stripped by the wind. It feels like late November here today.

The Hawthorn is on the way though so hopefully we'll get a bit of sun to go with it!
Same here. Also just lost the malus and apple flowers in the gusts.
Looks to improve from Tuesday, so hoping the hawthorn survives through the weekend. Some is still budding up.

Narrow leaf Plantain (see pic) is everywhere around my hives and the bees seems to be actively working it. Never noticed this before and did not have had it down as a ‘bee plant’ as I hadn’t looked properly and thought the ‘flower’ was a grass seed head. Some of the pollen coming in seems to be the right colour to be from this plant, but I have no idea whether it provides nectar in any notable quantity/quality. Anyone have their bees working this and know?

The leaf of the Lesser Plantain can be used as a salad Green.

The leaf of the Lesser Plantain can be used as a salad Green.
Just tried some of it but it is rather bitter, even the youngest of leaves. 😝 Not going to be a salad a leaf for me! Interesting aftertaste though- couldn’t work out what it was - slightly mushroomy, I’d say. Maybe it would work better cooked in butter just like you would spinach???🤨

This plant actually came quite high in my honey analysis!

Doesn't look like Sycamore is going to provide much unless by some miracle there is any blossom left on the trees, most is on the ground. Nice weather from Tuesday will see the Hawthorn in bloom.
There was still the distinct smell of Dandelion in the hives on Wednesday (just two days ago and glorious) with nectar frames being capped.

Sycamore in full flower here and the crab apple..
Ive put two supers on two 14x12 colonys that are brimming with bees.
I also have supered up 15 single brood colonys with comb that's the end of my drawn comb now:(. I've stopped feeding now :).
Going to out apiarys tomorrow to see what's happening, god I love this bee farming.
Two weeks of feeding getting wet! opening numerous gates travelling up and down hills.. Ow I forgot about lugging kit its all worth it.

Latest posts

Back