What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our first ever spring honey is very pale in colour compared with summer honey before. I suspect it is substantially early plum and cherry. Does anyone know whether this blossom produces pale honey?

Our wisteria is out but no honeybees on it. Pea family. As far as you can see, are the honeybees managing to penetrate the flower ie. collecting nectar ?

Watched more closely today, A.m. are going in to the back of the flower. So could be an external nectary or maybe where humbles have accessed the nectar.

Amongst the Phacelia now flowering in the garden there is a rogue bit of OSR that has flowered and must have been a seed in with the Phacelia. Noticed an unusual Butterfly on it this morning and it was a an Orange tip female, though only the male has Orange wing tips.

Borage,calendula and wildflowers coming into bloom

Our wisteria is out but no honeybees on it. Pea family. As far as you can see, are the honeybees managing to penetrate the flower ie. collecting nectar ?
Our Wisteria is always covered with bees when it flowers

Bumbles going mad collecting pollen on our wall of pyracantha. When it gets warmer later, hoping my girls might spot it too as they’re only 30 feet away!

Attachments

• IMG_8895.MOV
    16.2 MB
Bee's on the clover and harwthorne yesterday the Holly is just going over.
Holly is done with here - lots of berries forming already. Some bits of hawthorn are still white but I don’t see bees on it at all.
Things have calmed down in the apiary compared to a week ago and supers are starting to be capped.

The old wives tale makes me smile - lots of berries on the holly means we‘re in for a hard Winter.
Er....no. It was just a decent Spring and the pollinators had a good time.

Clover has started but whilst the long range forecast is predicting fine weather in the south until the end of the month, it is predicting a return to unsettled conditions for early July......as the main flow and brambles start :cautious:

This season is bonkers!
I agree, there are still bluebells in flower, and a load of hawthorns still loaded with flowers, but it has been raining (again) so the bees are no longer interested.

Great noisy excitement from the birds in this blue gum all day today! Another day of misty drizzle has quietened the bees down but the birds are busy collecting the nectar and pollinating at the same time. Parrots and wattlebirds.

Attachments

• VID_20210612_111933079.mp4
    12.1 MB

Latest posts

Back