Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
Our Snowdrops are at the same stage, a few Crocus starting to flower and getting flattened by the rain. Looks like the dogs have dug my Hellebore up.

masterBK 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
wintering 30 + 2 polynucs
Hope Swarm's dog didn't chew/eat the hellebores as they are toxic to many mammals
Hellebore derved from the greek elein (to injure), and borus, (food). Luckily they are supposed to taste horrible so most animals leave them alone.

Last edited:

beeno 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have a nice hazel in my garden with lots of pollen 3m from the hives that are bringing in holly pollen, but not a bee on it. The holly pollen has a lot of lipids in them though.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I have a nice hazel in my garden with lots of pollen 3m from the hives that are bringing in holly pollen, but not a bee on it. The holly pollen has a lot of lipids in them though.
Is the holy flowering now?

Monbees 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Had to look up '
Yes, I collected some corbicular pollen and quite a bit going in the hives. Must be some flowering in a sheltered spot. Actually, must check one of my neighbour's trees.
Had to look up 'corbicular'. You live and learn!

StephenT 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Quite a lot of white pollen coming in today. Obviously quite a good pollen source at present. Anyone know what it would be?

LeaBees 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Should I be concerned that there are no flights from my hives? Seems a lot of people reporting foraging activity already !:oops:

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Should I be concerned that there are no flights from my hives? Seems a lot of people reporting foraging activity already !:oops:
It's January, don't panic, it's the usual scramble to report the first bee activity after Christmas

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
As it was a one-off mild day I decide.d to renew pollen patties on my hives. All hives flying strongly, but no pollen being brought in. All hives were thriving, a good weight. Most had nearly consumed the patty I put on three weeks ago, a few were just nibbling at it. I add pollen I collected last year to the mix. First flights I have seen for a couple of weeks

holmbee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Temperatures were up today to over 13c so my foragers were out from all my hives. Our Viburnam Tinus was covered in overwintered workers. While jasmin and snowdrops out too they were being ignored. Hazel catkins out in adjacent woods. Hopefully spring is not far away!

Latest posts