What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have hives in the garden, watch the activity throughout the season and you will find they do forage in your garden. Not an entire work force obviously but you will be able to watch them heading back to your hives, it's lovely.
I won't have any in my garden this season I'm going to miss them.. :(
But hopefully they will travel from a stones throw away to come visit.

Crocuses and snowdrops in front of the hives are very useful
To true dani, I was looking at photos last night.
The last two years
1st 15th feb 2020
2nd 3rd March 2019IMG_20190215_113610.jpg
IMG_20200306_111243.jpg
Both lots of Crocuses are metres from some hives.

My bees ignore my wild flower bed in my garden and disappear across the fields. Thinking of just mowing it back into grass paddock?
I have exactly the same thing; bees mostly fly in the opposite direction towards a 3 acre organic meadow, for which l am very grateful! However, my own wildflower lawn attracts many other pollinators, bumble bees, butterflies, solitary bees, crickets, ladybirds etc, so l am very happy. Keep your wildflower bed!

Better "pickings" in the afternoon!
Different flowers yield their nectar at different times of the day (not taking into account weather/temps).
I did see a chart a little while ago on the different times particular flowers yield (some for as little as an hour a day) but can't find it right now. Will have another search.

Different flowers yield their nectar at different times of the day (not taking into account weather/temps).
I did see a chart a little while ago on the different times particular flowers yield (some for as little as an hour a day) but can't find it right now. Will have another search.
Pls share the details if you can find them I'm very interested in this specific subject.
Thanks
C. G. F

Not quite the same, Little bees, but Carl Linneaus developed a floral clock in the 18th century. He had noted that some flowers have set opening and closing times, presumably partly to avoid competition for pollinators. There's a lovely list below from a company called Outside Edge, suggesting planting a circular bed with the view to 'telling the time' according to which section flowers is open or closed! Several are bee-friendly.

Floral Clocks were a 19th Century craze – the idea being to plant a circular bed with twelve sections.
The plants in each section would flower in sequence.

If you are tempted to try to construct such a display – have a look at the plant list below:
2:00 AM Night blooming cereus closes
5:00 Wild roses and (the obvious) morning glories,
6:00 Spotted cat’s ear, catmint
7:00 African marigold, orange hawkweed, dandelions
8:00 Mouse-ear hawkweed, African daisies
9:00 Field marigold, gentians, prickly sow thistle closes
10:00 Helichrysum, Californium poppy

11:00 Star of Bethlehem
12:00 Noon Passion flower, goats beard, morning glory closes
1:00 PM Chiding pink closes
2:00 Scarlet pimpernel closes
3:00 Hawkbit closes
4:00 Four o’clock (Mirabilis’ Marvel of Peru) opens, Californian poppy closes
5:00 White water lily closes
6:00 Evening primrose, moonflower
7:00 Difficult
8:00 Daylilies and dandelions close
9:00 Night blooming cereus

Not quite the same, Little bees, but Carl Linneaus developed a floral clock in the 18th century. He had noted that some flowers have set opening and closing times, presumably partly to avoid competition for pollinators. There's a lovely list below from a company called Outside Edge, suggesting planting a circular bed with the view to 'telling the time' according to which section flowers is open or closed! Several are bee-friendly.

Floral Clocks were a 19th Century craze – the idea being to plant a circular bed with twelve sections.
The plants in each section would flower in sequence.

If you are tempted to try to construct such a display – have a look at the plant list below:
2:00 AM Night blooming cereus closes
5:00 Wild roses and (the obvious) morning glories,
6:00 Spotted cat’s ear, catmint
7:00 African marigold, orange hawkweed, dandelions
8:00 Mouse-ear hawkweed, African daisies
9:00 Field marigold, gentians, prickly sow thistle closes
10:00 Helichrysum, Californium poppy

11:00 Star of Bethlehem
12:00 Noon Passion flower, goats beard, morning glory closes
1:00 PM Chiding pink closes
2:00 Scarlet pimpernel closes
3:00 Hawkbit closes
4:00 Four o’clock (Mirabilis’ Marvel of Peru) opens, Californian poppy closes
5:00 White water lily closes
6:00 Evening primrose, moonflower
7:00 Difficult
8:00 Daylilies and dandelions close
9:00 Night blooming cereus
Not to pick holes, but I've seen dandelions closed in the afternoon if there was no sun on them.

Well, I won't be making that bed then! :(
It's a lovely sunny day and the list above was written out while sat in a Bee garden with a glass of cider and ice ;).
Don't be put of build it in a lovely sunny position.
As far as I know after two days a dandelion will close and set seed, they will also close in the day time if its going to rain or the weather has changed to preserve there pollen.

Last edited:
I presume that the pollen (which they were gathering), is more constant, but perhaps something nectary distracted them later in the day. There is such a dearth here, I can't imagine what it was!

Noticed these for the first time today, entire area engulfed... I really need to slow down, pay more View attachment 24261attention and "smell the roses"....
Funny, saw some of these the other day and it reminded me that my grandmother had them in the garden and I used to pull the flower off and make a parachute with the base of the flower (ovary) and some filaments (?) like the "ropes" to join the ovary (like a basket) to the flower (the canopy). What are they?

What are they?
Im a bit embarrassed to say,,, I have no idea ? :oops:
We bush cleared here 2 years ago and this is what has naturally sprung up...
No livestock been in here for over 2 years...

Perhaps someone here could educate us ?

Latest posts

Back