What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here too. I'm told that bramble is now possibly the main forage, replacing what clover once was. Also, I heard that there are so many varieties that it has a long flowering period across the land. However, I'm not sure if the bees in any one locality would benefit from this. Is it possible that in one area there could be several varieties providing forage for several weeks?

View attachment 40164According to various books, bramble can flower right through to the first frosts so i'm guessing there is probably more than one variety.

Nope too
Looking forward to these in a few weeks. We have about twenty self seeded in the garden.
I feel I should know what plant this is, but can't remember. I love the leaves.
If I can get a couple I have plenty of room to plant them in the hive area.
I have a lot of hawksbeard in that area.

I feel I should know what plant this is, but can't remember. I love the leaves.
If I can get a couple I have plenty of room to plant them in the hive area.
I have a lot of hawksbeard in that area.
This is Mullein I got seeds from a friend a few years back and it’s now established in the garden. It likes to grow in cracks. It self seeds like mad, is a biennial and I simply pull out the plants that are in the way.

This is Mullein I got seeds from a friend a few years back and it’s now established in the garden. It likes to grow in cracks. It self seeds like mad, is a biennial and I simply pull out the plants that are in the way.
Thank you. I've looked on the Internet and it seems to be an amazing plant. Used widely in herbal medicine. People sell the dried leaves to make tea.
I will look out for some seeds. :)

Thank you. I've looked on the Internet and it seems to be an amazing plant. Used widely in herbal medicine. People sell the dried leaves to make tea.
I will look out for some seeds. :)
When I see bees covering minor plants in the garden I am grateful for the contribution but I reason that there is no major flow on and they are a bit desperate, When there is little activity oin the garden I feel the clover and blackberry have arrived and yes, the hive entrances are much more active and the bees are much more scattered on the major sources as there is an abundance of choice - not all concentrated on a few plants in my herb garden.

Visited Mount Stewart National Trust and had total bee-forage envy. Stunning gardens and house. Swathes of beautiful alliums but the huge flight of steps mass planted with Mexican fleebane was the star - just vibrating with all sorts of bees. Joy.

Attachments

• 20240531_144325.mp4
    10.9 MB
  • IMG-20240531-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20240531-WA0017.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 1
Bramble all over the place here and HB won’t be far off either as it’s 3’ high in places now

In Waterford for the Bank Holiday, and spotted some bees on the brambles. I was here this time last year and first brambles were just flowering, the following week they starting in my home apiary. Of course the rain came then last year.
Seem a little earlier this year, hopefully the weather will be better.

Attachments

• IMG_20240603_190318.jpg
    IMG_20240603_190318.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back