What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here.......but it happens often. There is masses of bramble in bud and the hives have plenty in their supers to keep them going
The town hives have four supers to extract it’s dark honey but not hawthorn and it doesn’t smell like dandelion either there has been so much sycamore pollen going into the hives so perhaps it’s that.
Out apiarys on high ground have slowed down but not like the flow just stopping in Hereford, a bit of a learning curve with the flows there

Next doors Ceanothus is in full bloom and attracting all types of bees. I assume this is just good for pollen though and not nectar. Bramble coming out but not much else of real consequence here until the Lime flowers. Although, given all the gardens in the area that have Lavender, they’ll have the equivalent of a field of it to forage on shortly. There’s a couple of Indian Horse Chesnuts on Ealing Common that are coming into flower as well.

Yesterday I was in the orchard and I could see the bees on the kiwi flowers. I have also noticed that the brambles are beginning to flower.

Eastern end of the county the White (and red) clover are starting to bloom. Brambles are bud there too. My apiary is further west, with no clover in sight yet

I’m not quite following the flows in this town- been away for a few days come back and the flow is back on.
Also mass orientation of most of the nucs.:ROFLMAO: Patches of this flowering around the parks. No bees on the clover it’s not warm enough IMG_3223.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3220.mov
    14.5 MB
One of my hives is super busy and the pollen is dark orange, I have no clue what they are collecting.I just leave them to it. The nuc offspring seem quite relaxed in their efforts but is chocker with bees and seem quite happy

Next doors Ceanothus is in full bloom and attracting all types of bees. I assume this is just good for pollen though and not nectar. Bramble coming out but not much else of real consequence here until the Lime flowers. Although, given all the gardens in the area that have Lavender, they’ll have the equivalent of a field of it to forage on shortly. There’s a couple of Indian Horse Chesnuts on Ealing Common that are coming into flower as well.
I thought the ceanothus was a nectar producer :unsure:

Hawthorn! The fragrance is very strong right now. Some think it foul, but I quite enjoy it.
Reminds me every year it's almost June and livin' is easy.
I agree Michael. It has such a heady smell and makes the cointryside look like summer's comin'. It's known as "the may" in UK/ireland too. I love walking past fanning hives and getting a big hit of it. Do you know the Irish superstition of the fairy thorn? It still persists here today. It was believed a solitary hawthorn was a fairy house. Anyone stupid enough to fell one would be carried off by the little folk or at least cursed horribly. We have a local golf course here in Belfast with one that's been standing over 120 years in the middle of a green. A motorway slip road even had to be constructed around one to pacify the locals and yes, the infamous Delorean plant had a fairy thorn story too. It's said that a fairythorn lay in the middle of the proposed site but that none of the home grown contractors would cut it down. Some say old John Delorean took matters into his own hands. And... look what happened!

Does that set hard like OSR in the combs?
It will do for sure but is usually used quickly by the bees (Portland is surprisingly hard on bees during the spring -so much for a south coast paradise). This year could be a little different as it's flowering that bit later than usual, but even this may be balanced by the reduced overall acreage which we're seeing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back