What to do about Nosema?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will it last just as long without the alcohol content? I'm no expert but I'm assuming you've used water because alcohol does not need an emulsifier or it would not work as such?

The alcohol is the solvent for the thymol. If you simply add the solution of thymol in alcohol to syrup it separates out and floats to the top. Emulsified per Hivemakers recipe it mixes with the syrup and stays mixed.

also where can you buy Lecithin? (I'm sure it's been covered but it's easier to just ask again)

lots on ebay.

also where can you buy Lecithin? (I'm sure it's been covered but it's easier to just ask again)

You could try grinding up some soya beans ? ( someone was suggesting using honey as a replacement emulsifier.... Totally inexplicably WRONG!:hairpull:

Yeghes da

ok two things

firstly whoever asked if vodka works... yes it does

secondly if anyone in France needs any lecithin then I can post you some. I was in a rush and went to a health food shop and it was 12 euros for 200g but pay for postage and you can have a few teaspoons to get the job done yourself

eBay item number:

lecithin.JPG

£6.45 Free Post.... why waste Honey ( That IS NOT AN EMULSIFYER!!!)

Mytten da

Abstract: The aim of this study was to determine the natural occurrence of Nosema apis in honey bee colonies and evaluated of N. apis presence in colonies after medical treatment with fumagillin and thymol in consecutive 3 years period.

Do you still find N apis in the UK? The researchers tell us that N apis has been replaced by N cerana here in North America.

Do you still find N apis in the UK? The researchers tell us that N apis has been replaced by N cerana here in North America.

In Finland we have boath, and mixed populations in same hives.

We do not use any medicines against nosema. I used Fumidil B 30 years ago.

Yes, a friend had a hive die after winter last year & I sent samples to SASA in Edinburgh who confirmed a heavy load of N Apis

Quick query, I made a batch last year...or the year before and on inspection yesterday noticed a hard layer on top of it. Is it like some good old paint where I can remove the hard layer, mix and use or does it perish and I need to make a new batch?

who heck found this 12 years old story about nosema. In those days it was said that Nosrma veramea will kill all beehives. But after that nothing has happened.

Thank you for the thymol threads! This is so helpful :) is there a certain kind of thymol crystals to use? Ive been using a natural varroa treatment that really does work but is super pricey, and I'm so happy to get a recipe to make my own!!

Thank you for the thymol threads! This is so helpful :) is there a certain kind of thymol crystals to use? Ive been using a natural varroa treatment that really does work but is super pricey, and I'm so happy to get a recipe to make my own!!
Just Google lab grade thymol crystals

Latest posts

Back