What size Burco?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmonster

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I am trying to get an old Burco, what is the minimum capacity people are using to steralise BS deep frames? Is a 20 litre one big enough? I realise I will have to turn them.

20 ltr does the job but , yes you will have to turn them .
Of more importance is getting a stainless steel version and not an ally bodied one . Stamped round the top of mine it says 'Use no soda' which is a bu**er .
To prove me wrong and the makers right I ignored it and boiled up lots of frames and a few deer skulls (not at the same time) and it stopped working after 18 months or so .
We now do all our boiling in a cut down steel drum over a gas burner , 30 frames at a time.
G

I am trying to get an old Burco,

You'll no doubt want the biggest you can get - about 20 - 40 imperial gallons, I suspect. :D Whatever you do, get a user friendly one! :D

I am trying to get an old Burco, what is the minimum capacity people are using to steralise BS deep frames? Is a 20 litre one big enough? I realise I will have to turn them.
You will need over 20lts to hold BS frames, and if possible stainless steel. I've used them for years and caustic soda strips the frames clean in seconds, but you have to be very careful with goggles & thick rubber gloves, if you don't fancy using that, then washing soda crystals will do the job. Boot fairs sell them & of course they are on that auction site. Try asking on freecycle web site.:sunning:

i got a burco boiler given to me a few weeks ago and it just needs a new element,when i get it working can i use it till make up sugar syrup?anyone do this??
Darren

You will need over 20lts to hold BS frames, and if possible stainless steel. I've used them for years and caustic soda strips the frames clean in seconds, but you have to be very careful with goggles & thick rubber gloves, ....

I believe a 1/1 Gastronorm pan will actually hold a 14x12 frame (confirmation welcome!) - it should take a BS brood frame easily.

If immersion for seconds is all that is needed, doing them one at a time shouldn't be too boring.

A 200mm deep stainless 1/1 new is going to be massively cheaper than the used stainless Burcos that I have seen sold.
It could go on a double-burner gas camping stove (that was adequately stable!)

I'm actually wondering about getting a 2/1 (double) stainless Gastronorm to form the main body of a solar melter (just add insulation, glazing and a tap-off point ...)
Anyone done this already?
Much much much cheaper than buying the metalwork only from T's ...

i got a burco boiler given to me a few weeks ago and it just needs a new element,when i get it working can i use it till make up sugar syrup?anyone do this??
Darren
Yes. I use mine outside plugged into an extension so I dont make a mess in the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back