What plant do my bees seem to love?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strength_10

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,
my first post having taken on my first full hive at the start of July...shortly after I found this forum and have spent most waking moments since then trying to read the thousands of posts and absorb as much info as I can!
Anyway, I jumped straight into beekeeping by taking on a full size colony at the start of July. Colony seems to be doing well going into the Autumn and still seem to be storing honey and queen still seems to be laying. The out-apiray I keep my hive in is surrounded by a bush/shrub that the bees seem to love. The hedgerow is literally covered in bees going back and forth to my hive.

Is anyone able to identify the bush from my photo? Apologies if it's not great quality, had to take it on my phone!

Many thanks in advance of replies to my first post :)

looks like a honeysuclke by the leaves and welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Yes, or what posh people call "Symphoricarpos"

I've got one of these in a hedge and I'm amazed how bees search out the quite insignificant little flowers in preference to a big clump of borage next to it.

Thanks everyone. From
Googling images it does seem to be Snowberry. They just seem to love it!

Snowberry use a lot in the 1970's by local councils for aminity planting it spreads like wild fire we removed 700 square meters of it from Derriford Hospital in Plymouth what a job but the pond looks nice.

Welcome to the forum

Robbie

hi everyone, this is my first post here not very good at using this forum yet but finding everything interesting. Nice pick of the snowberry apparently the seeds from that plant can lay dormant for 40 years but that could be misinformation from some unrelaible book i've read.
Does anyone here have a top bar hive i need some advice as to setting up a colony in one due to the fact that the nucs have frames and the top bar just have bars. How can i make them frames fit in that triangle type hive? any ideas as this will be my first hive of bees and i've just been doing a lot of reading and not much practical stuff yet. Any advice and ideas will be much appreciated.

fraser

Topbar - I'm afraid I can't help you. Suggest you start a separate thread to get the forum's attention and hopefully solve your problem.

Good luck and welcome BTW :)

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm such a novice i didn't know that it's called a thread to start a new topic. Later today i will ask the question hopefully on a new thread and if it works and when i have the time.
Thank you Beeline could have been butting into peoples topics forever. lol
Have a good day.

Your best bet is to populate it by a caught swarm - cutting down Nuc frames just isnt worth the mess!

hi everyone, this is my first post here not very good at using this forum yet but finding everything interesting. Nice pick of the snowberry apparently the seeds from that plant can lay dormant for 40 years but that could be misinformation from some unrelaible book i've read.
Does anyone here have a top bar hive i need some advice as to setting up a colony in one due to the fact that the nucs have frames and the top bar just have bars. How can i make them frames fit in that triangle type hive? any ideas as this will be my first hive of bees and i've just been doing a lot of reading and not much practical stuff yet. Any advice and ideas will be much appreciated.

fraser

Chainsaw?

Afermo good idea, i'm a tree surgeon so that's right up my street. Widdershins your dead right thats what i'm going to try and do. I just have to be patient and wait for a hive man to get one for me to buy, or for me by some chance to find one myself.
Thanks guys for your help.

fraser

Latest posts

Back