Posca pen wearing off. What's better?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best one I ever had was an acrylic pen £1 from the poundshop. Don't know if they still do them, only had yellow though😀

Have always found it strange that out of the 5 colours for years 2 are not suitable for those with colour blindness!! I don't worry about year dates but use an easily spotted fluorescent colour and put a dot of that colour on the front of the broodbox with the year written in the same colour. So today a yellow dot and 2024 marked on the outside of the BB

Last edited:
woodcock pin feathers used to be coveted by artists for fine painting work back in the days which led to the tradition of shooters putting them in their hatbands as an advertisement that they were for sale, artists would go to country fairs hoping to purchase them.

woodcock pin feathers used to be coveted by artists for fine painting work back in the days which led to the tradition of shooters putting them in their hatbands as an advertisement that they were for sale, artists would go to country fairs hoping to purchase them.
I used to know a bloke called Woodcock, he changed his name by deed poll to Oakhampton !

Slightly veering off topic, does anyone know when the international colour code was officially established? Although it's been in use for a long time it didn't appear to be so widely used by ordinary (?) beekeepers as it is today until relatively recently. I seem to remember tipex being one of the favourite marking mediums when I was younger followed by enamel (interestingly, white) paint.

Perhaps this wasn't the case nationally but it's certainly my recollection from the Forest of Dean.

Slightly veering off topic, does anyone know when the international colour code was officially established? Although it's been in use for a long time it didn't appear to be so widely used by ordinary (?) beekeepers as it is today until relatively recently. I seem to remember tipex being one of the favourite marking mediums when I was younger followed by enamel (interestingly, white) paint.

Perhaps this wasn't the case nationally but it's certainly my recollection from the Forest of Dean.
White water based tipex that came with a padded brush rather than a bristle one was perfect. I just use white and write the year on my notes but used to write it on the brood box

My marks on my queens are wearing off really quickly having use a red posca.
Anyone got recommendations for better alternatives?
Toma. E-Bay has a wide range for under £3.50 and you can but single items so no need to let others dry out.

Back