What does beekeeping mean to you?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It makes me lose all track of time when looking through the bees.

Nothing can compare with a warm Spring day, life vibrant in every way. The sound of birdsong, trees and shrubs proclaiming their existence with blossom and vivid, fresh, green leaves. The gentle buzz of happy, contented bees and the heady smell of the hive. The gentlest breeze and the reassuring warmth of the sun. Gone are the cold, dreary days of Winter. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Tea, cake, nice people and something to keep my interest

Nothing can compare with a warm Spring day, life vibrant in every way. The sound of birdsong, trees and shrubs proclaiming their existence with blossom and vivid, fresh, green leaves. The gentle buzz of happy, contented bees and the heady smell of the hive. The gentlest breeze and the reassuring warmth of the sun. Gone are the cold, dreary days of Winter. It really doesn't get much better than this.

I can almost feel that sun bring on balmy warmer days and long light evenings :nature-smiley-016:

Gets me out from under the wife's feet, either in the garage or in a field with a Land Rover.

Oh yeah and the idea that it might be able to pay for its self over the next few years (here's hoping!)

Beekeeping is just a hobby i enjoy, i like fishing and shooting as well.

About to start on my second year and I think it mainly means trying to keep bees going strong in this ever increasing polluted world rather than the honey crop,can't survive without these hardworking creatures. Also hours of painic and worry that it's all going ok, I'm not doing something wrong, buying countless pairs of rubber gloves (never had any before beekeeping) spending a fortune on sugar and spending hours on this addictive forum which has been so supportive of my silly questions. The joy on sunny days like this of seeing the ladies out and about looking wonderful.
:nature-smiley-013:

Made me smile....second year is a bigger learning curve, suddenly your hive is larger, loads more bees than last year, the pristine comb is going black and no longer is straight, they have a real urge to swarm, and then swarm again, they seem to have more bad hair days than last year and this is the year when you REALLY think you have bitten off more than you can chew. And then along comes the honey and the world is right again........till next year! Love it!!

Beekeeping is just a hobby i enjoy, i like fishing and shooting as well.

Duing the winter months I fly a female Goshawk at pheasants and rabbits. This ancient pass time finishes in Jan and Feb respctivly so bees fill the gap very well untill next flying season.
Now she is away( in a breeding project) I can really concentrate on another ancient pass time of beekeeping. It started on que yesterday, the first time since winter. There was hunderds of bees out in the sunshine. Now I cant wait to get involved sooner this year with getting a colony through winter and hopfully try for some honey.
But its like flying hawks, put the hard work in, and you get great performances out.(like most things)

The answer to the question means I can do both of these fantastic hobbies.
Regards

Ian.

The Pleasures of Beekeeping
By Lyndon Wortley 2013

On the pleasures of beekeeping I can talk a long while
Sharing with others the joys that they’ll find.
Rich golden bounty, sweet gift of the hive;
Jarred summer sunshine, a treat near divine.

From beekeeping friendships, from bee-books of old,
Shared Pearls of wisdom, wee tales to enjoy.
Wordless hymns rising from industrious hives
Strident notes warning of that sting in the tail.

The hive now opened, warm secrets inside,
Lone queen, daughters, sons; all who strive
The swarm now rising then, a warm clustered mass,
Securing their future ere the summer is past.

Colonies sweet-scented, contented; an example to all.
On the pleasures of beekeeping we can talk a long while.
©

Made me smile....second year is a bigger learning curve, suddenly your hive is larger, loads more bees than last year, the pristine comb is going black and no longer is straight, they have a real urge to swarm, and then swarm again, they seem to have more bad hair days than last year and this is the year when you REALLY think you have bitten off more than you can chew. And then along comes the honey and the world is right again........till next year! Love it!!

Ahhhhh can feel the panic already !!!!!!!!

... need for bigger car, insane desire to get more and more colonies!

Can relate to that! There is something slightly insane about more and more colonies, but there we are. Each one is different and one learns so much from having lots. I love my precious bees and look forward to wishing them Happy Easter soon, hopefully all of them. It will take ages. Some colonies are better than others in telling one useful things. Mostly I tell them things, it's in the blood of my people. Today I told my eight-year old skep colony how thankful I was for having been introduced to the wonderful world of flowers ... and skep beekeeping. They put on half an hour's orientation flights to delight me .... not so bad for February.

Can relate to that! There is something slightly insane about more and more colonies, but there we are. Each one is different and one learns so much from having lots. I love my precious bees and look forward to wishing them Happy Easter soon, hopefully all of them. It will take ages. Some colonies are better than others in telling one useful things. Mostly I tell them things, it's in the blood of my people. Today I told my eight-year old skep colony how thankful I was for having been introduced to the wonderful world of flowers ... and skep beekeeping. They put on half an hour's orientation flights to delight me .... not so bad for February.

oooh woman you are deranged. You don't have to tell bees or listen to bees. They are merely bugs. Nothing more. Simply honey producing units to be destroyed without a moment's hesitation when they fail to produce enough honey for you.:nono:
Well according to some beekeepers that is. I tend to share how you feel about them. My granny said you have to tell the bees any important event in your life and treat them like family. Am very interested in skeps. Have you made a thread explaining about them as I'd be very interested in reading it if you have.

I consider myself to be in the middle ground. I enjoy my bees and try my best not to squish any when working with them. But in keeping bees for my enjoyment and any other gains is entirely selfish and I make no attempt to disguise that. And that is also the same whether you keep bees in an evil national, tbh, sun hive or skep. If you really want to be at one with nature, find a feral nest and watch them come and go naturally. Otherwise you are just tiresome hipocrits.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back