What does beekeeping mean to you?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My post was a defence of the lanstroth type style of beekeeping against condecending passive agressive comments. No one beekeeper has a right to say their practises or morals are any better than the next. In the end, we all impose our will on the bees for our own gain.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

This thread is called "What does beekeeping mean to you". A lovely invitation to share what people feel. I cannot see the point of judging what others feel; personally, I am not greatly into imposing my will on the bees, but absolutely respect your right to do so.
And still do not understand how Nationals, now also Langstroths? are evil. Has anyone said that? If so, why not message them privately and explain their error.

They're not. Forget it. My point was missed. Move on. Nothing to see here:banghead:

They're not. Forget it. My point was missed. Move on. Nothing to see here:banghead:

Passive Agressive?
Isn't that a contradiction in terms: or is that what the last post was?
:winner1st: :rofl:

My post was a defence of the lanstroth type style of beekeeping against condecending passive agressive comments. 2

It is much more easier to love bees if they are in Langstroth hive. ( It is easy to love rich)

-

:winner1st:

as we go skepping merrilie thru the medow flowers on our wonderful way ???? !

yeah funny really ... the mere mention of skep seems to derail things round here, I get the message :hairpull::hairpull:
207281_427499217341132_1996564951_n.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by heidiherrmann
Can relate to that! There is something slightly insane about more and more colonies, but there we are.

I can relate to that as well ... except in my case it's hive building ... now into my third hive and still no bees ! This spring I hope ... I think it may be OCD ?:hairpull:

This thread is called "What does beekeeping mean to you". A lovely invitation to share what people feel. I cannot see the point of judging what others feel; personally, I am not greatly into imposing my will on the bees, but absolutely respect your right to do so.
And still do not understand how Nationals, now also Langstroths? are evil. Has anyone said that? If so, why not message them privately and explain their error.

Hi Heidi - I read the article about your methods in (IIRC) the Torygraph it may have been a borrowed Daily Mail/Fear. Interesting. I'm a traditional beekeeper on nationals but I hope I'm young enough (I'm under 50!) to appreciate there are other ways of doing the craft. I don't know if I could leave honey on and not feed in the autumn for instance but I do respect you right to do it and I'm sure the bees prefer it. Glad to find you on the forum too.

Back to the question "what does beekeeping mean to me", a chance to get a way from work on summer lunchtimes (and a winter one this week BRRR) to put down the BlackBerry, move slowly and concentrate on something a bit more important than deadlines. My bees are fascinating and frustrating in equal quantities. I quite like the honey too :)

On days like today....................
just had news that a school friend of mine died on Saturday evening. Aged 48. How crap is that.
Had an early walk down the hives, sat by the pond and had a cuppa. Reflection,
told the wife sod work, some things are more important.

So just been and booked over night accomodation for trip to convention.

Does make you think............. what would I rather be doing.

Take care & good luck

Pete D

I can relate to that as well ... except in my case it's hive building ... now into my third hive and still no bees ! This spring I hope ... I think it may be OCD ?:hairpull:

I know where you are coming from... give it a couple of years.

down to 26 colonys, but I have built over 60 hives, 14 nucs and 25 mininucs, 90 supers etc etc... (and still building!)

never know when you need spares! :)

My Grandfather Kept Bees was a founding member of the Aberdeen and District Beekeepers Association, my father keeps bees.. I started beekeeping when I was 6.

I love Honey, I eat a lot of honey and it makes it all worth while.
I enjoy attending beekeeper meetings getting info out of the old guys, they know a lot of tricks what works what dosen't nobody ever agrees 100% but in the end the bees will do what bees do regardless of our interference.

Nice being out and about on a sunny day or a warm evening when there's a flow on the nectar being turned into honey the bees fanning at the entrance

A lot of happy memory's of beekeepers that have passed on.. funny stories.. chasing swarms for miles

Removing swarms from chimneys, trees, cars

The Auction or what we call a roup where the auctioneer smacked what everyone thought was an empty hive with the gavel(it was a real heavy stick in this case) to be met with a lot of angry bees.. think everyone got stung...

happy days

I like that Graham. Nice one.

Really nice to read what people feel about their bees. Right now, after a brief relief at seeing them all out for a few days, deepest worry again, I'm afraid. Can't help wondering about the stress caused by having to keep tight again when brood rearing has started. Can't wait for the chill to end.

On days like today....................
just had news that a school friend of mine died on Saturday evening. Aged 48. How crap is that.
Had an early walk down the hives, sat by the pond and had a cuppa. Reflection,
told the wife sod work, some things are more important.

So just been and booked over night accomodation for trip to convention.

Does make you think............. what would I rather be doing.

Take care & good luck

Pete D

That's terrible Pete, it does knock the stuffing out of you when something like that happens - thoughts are with you.
Might make the convention myself this year - see you there if i do
Emyr

Made me smile....second year is a bigger learning curve, suddenly your hive is larger, loads more bees than last year, the pristine comb is going black and no longer is straight, they have a real urge to swarm, and then swarm again, they seem to have more bad hair days than last year and this is the year when you REALLY think you have bitten off more than you can chew. And then along comes the honey and the world is right again........till next year! Love it!!

How right your words are as I'm finding out at this very moment, I just hope the bit about along comes the honey actually happens - well I think so but then they will be something else to freak me out!! At the moment I'm veering from blind panic to ecstasy frequently - still lovin this beekeeping lark though.

It means frustration, despair and disbelief.
It also means 'find the queen', bugger - no eggs, and ouch, another sting.
It also means thank you for the honey girls, peace and wonder that these little things can do so much to help us!. :)

It means getting up early on a Sunday morning (after the odd aperetif the night before) to take a clas of beginners - and do you know what? I don't actually mind :D

I wish I had someone like you to guide me through all this on a Sunday, my div are lovely but I don't do anything like mentoring beginners, luckily i've got in touch with a really freindly beekeeper just down the road from me who is a godsend.

Latest posts

Back