2016.... What will it bring?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Lapland there is a measure "reindeer's piss". IT is a distance which a reindeer runs without pissing.

Last edited:
Quite right too.

Pargyle, I'm still trying to convince SWMBO that I need a planer thicknesser.
I keep meaning to make a push stick, this has made me decide.

Mine is a BEAST - it's a Startrite Inca made in the 1980's .. in Switzerland .. built like a brick khazi with the precision of a fine watch. Best £60 I've spent on ebay - it was in a bit of a state when I got it but once the grunge and layer of paint had been removed and the mechanism rebuilt and adjusted - works perfectly. You need nerves of steel to use it though ...

It's virtually identical to this one .. the SD310 design hardly changed in about 25 years ...

Attachments

• Planer_thicknesser.jpg
    Planer_thicknesser.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 22
How many bees in the average hive? 4 average hives plus 1 double brood box hive plus 1 nuc on3 frames......hmmm...I wonder how many bees?

Thank you HM
.....so approximately 20,000 bees in my hives....plus about 10,000 in the Pond Apiary......
By my calculation I have about 30,000 winter bees...minimum numbers.
So that is how many bees make a Bee Yard! Quite a responsibility to get them all through the winter!

By my calculation I have about 30,000 winter bees...minimum numbers.

If you perform the estimate for each colony in autumn (early-mid Oct) and again in spring (mid Feb - Early Mar), the percentage of bees that survive can be used as a gauge of over-wintering ability (https://youtu.be/ZCcbj1Gv9UM?t=18m20s). The vitality tests that I do use this method but they aren't allowed any medication that might influence the results.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back